Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Loyale Alternator and Blower

Ya know, my coming here so often lately is not a good sign :-))

On a 3 hr road trip, yesterday, my heat blower stopped blowing....then randomly it would start up again. This happened three times or more, now it's not blowing at all on any setting.

I noticed, before this happened, that the "door lock" and clock light on the dash were flickering slightly. I turned off the head lights and the clock and dash light lit up very much brighter. Can I assume that the alternator is going bad? Can I assume that this is the reason for the blower jumping in and out of working?? IE: does the blower need a specific amount of juice? The blower already gave up on settings 1 & 2 a long time ago but I think that's a different issue, one I wasn't concerned about as long as I had setting 3 & 4 working. Now I ain't happy.

thanks in advance

You may very well have an alternator going bad and that may have burned out your blower. I would get the alternator checked. Most parts stores do that for free nowadays. The blower problem may also be the rheostat that controls it's speeds. i would unplug the blower and put twelve volts across the plug. If it comes on, you most likely need the rheostat.

No matter what the problem, I have all of the parts necessary for you to get back to a fully operatiing blower. I would not put an aftermarket alternator in. I have and every one lastes six months or less.

Let me know if I can help you with parts. I have a 90 loyale donor car.

the blower problem sounds like the relay is bad, its one of 4 round metal relays under the left dash panel above the fuse box

also the blower speed problem is caused by the resistor block the resistor coils are burned out. thats under the passenger side dash , one of the screws for the blower motor mounts this block

Edited by ivantruckman

the blower problem sounds like the relay is bad, its one of 4 round metal relays under the left dash panel above the fuse box

also the blower speed problem is caused by the resistor block the resistor coils are burned out. thats under the passenger side dash , one of the screws for the blower motor mounts this block

the resistor pack going bad will still allow the blower to function on the highest setting - if he has no function at all, it is likely a different problem...

Thanks all you guys. I whacked the glove compartment a couple times and the fan came on. So far so good. :-)))

Merry Christmas

ok - if whacking it got it going you will need to get in there & check things out - glove box comes out pretty easily.

would check wiring connections to start with - fan itself, too - may be the brushes are failing in the fan motor...

i do have a spare motor/squirrel cage here if you decide you need one. :)

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the parts offers and help.

Thread is almost a year old...took care of the alternator.

The blower gave up entirely, no matter how many times I hit the glove box..heh.

Today, took out the glove box, tapped the blower motor with a hammer and it started, couple more taps, full blow, then it peter'd out slowly to a dead stop. Couple more taps got it started, then peter out. This only happens on number four, highest setting.

Going back out to check things using all the info offered above..if the latest hammering technique narrows it down more, please let me know. Maybe I just need to hit it really hard, heh.

Thanks for the parts offers and help.

Thread is almost a year old...took care of the alternator.

The blower gave up entirely, no matter how many times I hit the glove box..heh.

Today, took out the glove box, tapped the blower motor with a hammer and it started, couple more taps, full blow, then it peter'd out slowly to a dead stop. Couple more taps got it started, then peter out. This only happens on number four, highest setting.

Going back out to check things using all the info offered above..if the latest hammering technique narrows it down more, please let me know. Maybe I just need to hit it really hard, heh.

Brushes in the fan are dead. Need a new fan, or at least rebrush that one. The back cover on the fan motor comes off easily to reveal the brushes in slip ring.

You need a new resistor block to make all fan speeds work again.

Clock is supposed to dim when headlights are on (doesn't need to be as bright to be seen in the dark). I'm guessin the alt is/was fine?

yeah, I should turn in the man card for even asking again....the brushes were def shot. I replaced the blower with a used one, works well in settings 3 and 4. Will look into the resistor block.

Alternator wasn't an issue..thanks again, guys

Going for a ride strictly to relish in the heat.