Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a question about my 98 Forester

Ok My 98 Forester has a blown engine. It is the DOHC EJ-25. What I need to know is what other year Subarus does this engine come in. Also up to what year EJ-25 is a direct fit drop in. I have got my eye on this wrecked 01 Forester with 92,500 miles on it. The car still runs and drives but is damaged pretty bad. My question is will this engine work in the 98? Just am not familiar enough with these newer Subies to know. Any help on this one would be appreciated. Thanks,

Richard

I've got a '98 Forester also. It was the first year for the Forester and the last year for the DOHC EJ-25 engine, often referred to as the Phase I EJ-25.

For '99, Subaru began using the single overhead cam (SOHC), or Phase II version of the EJ-25 engine - that is almost surely the engine in the '01 you're looking to put in your '98.

Physically, the '01 Phase II engine will pretty much drop into place in your '98. But the electrical hookups have a number of differences due to different sensors & (I think) a different engine computer on the Phase II engine. The Phase II also uses a different radiator.

I was faced with your situation, having bought my '98 with blown head gaskets, a torque-bound transmission, useless anti-lock brakes, etc. After much research, wise counsel from board members & experts, I decided to keep my original engine and rebuild the heads. I believe I made the best decision based on ease and limited dollars.

Before launching into a project of changing engines, research how much it will cost to repair your current one. If it is irreparable, look for another Phase I engine from '95-'98.

Some board members have put EJ-22 engines in their Foresters, with great success. This will provide 30 less horsepower.

I still prefer to keep the original engine, if at all possible. You won't have to change any wiring, and it may cost less to repair than you have first surmised. Run a careful cost estimate before changing to a Phase I engine or an EJ-22.

Good luck on this project & keep us informed of your progress.

ScottG

Its not all bad. You can use a long block from a 96-99 Outback and many legacy cars. You could convert it to an ej22 rather easily as well but I have a good recipe for not getting CEL's if you want to go that way and many people cut key corners and end up with lots of CEL codes. This might also be a problem in CA though and not possible legally.

I like the 96 motor the most its Hydraulic lifters and neater looking valve covers. Otherwise its the same motor. Its also got the 96 piston in the shortblock and less prone to piston slap but not by much.