Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I replace the AC compressor with idler pully?

So on the 86 gl wagon dr with ac, I was thinking about removing the compressor. Seeing as how everything else is already gone. Do the compressor make a decent idler or would I be saving horse power by removing it a putting on the regular idler arm and pully. The compressor doesnt seem to have much drag on it, so I was just wondering.

Thanks

Mike

you could use a shorter belt if you removed the compressir entirely.

there are several variations, which one do you have?

typically you wull have a round compressor inboard, and the alternator outboard.

generally on turbo models you will have a square compressor outboard and the alternator inboard.

if you have the first variant, just remove the compressor from the iron bracket.

otherwise, if you keave it there, it will run the same as if the ac is never turned on.

Thanks miles,

So if I get a fan belt for a non ac car then it will be right. No idler arm and pully needed? I figure the weight of the compressor might be enough to merrit removing it. Then I can replace the compressors weight with something that I will actually use, like an air compressor for the tires or something.

Thanks

Mike