Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SHELL 6459 N Bearing grease compatable with??

I tried to find the answer to that last year... I used a subaru bearing and left the factory grease in it, and have put 15-20k miles on it.

Not the answer to your question, but an answer to one of the persistent wheel-bearing questions.

Dave

The more I read the less I know it seems on this subject. I think that anything I would have done would have been wrong except to take it to the dealer. which will probably never happen.

Instictfully I would have done the same as you Dave and will do next time as hind-sight.

I decided to crack the bearing assy, remove and replace the Green grease with off the shelf valvoline hoping that the nylon cage is chem-safe. The factoy Green grease feels like a higher quality than the valvoline that replaced it. After I got started it fealt like the wong thing to to.

So, we're going to have 1 side Valvoline and the other side Valvoline & mysterious Green. Wonder which will last longer.:-\

The more I read the less I know it seems on this subject. I think that anything I would have done would have been wrong except to take it to the dealer. which will probably never happen.

Instictfully I would have done the same as you Dave and will do next time as hind-sight.

I decided to crack the bearing assy, remove and replace the Green grease with off the shelf valvoline hoping that the nylon cage is chem-safe. The factoy Green grease feels like a higher quality than the valvoline that replaced it. After I got started it fealt like the wong thing to to.

So, we're going to have 1 side Valvoline and the other side Valvoline & mysterious Green. Wonder which will last longer.:-\

Somebody has to answer these questions for the rest of us...

As long as you press 'em in right and torque 'em the right way, they'll probably both last just fine.

Dave