Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good source for exhaust parts? And do I do this myself?

Hi, everyone. I've been trying to spend more time away from the computer, so it's been quite a while since I've posted and I'm sure most of you don't recognize me. It's time to ask a question of the experts, which is why I'm here.

I took my car to the shop to get some brake work done and to get an estimate for the exhaust. I like to do as much work myself as I can, but I don't have a garage and it's cold here, so it went to the shop.

The exhaust diagnosis was that it needed everything behind the front catalytic converter, for a total of $660.

My first question is: is this a job I can do myself when the weather warms up?

Second question is: who's a good source for the parts? I'm looking for cheap and functional, not necessarily the best quality. This car probably has only 2 or 3 years left in it for me.

It's a 98 Impreza 2.2L.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Should be able to go after market bolt/clamp together for a little cheaper than that. The second Cat is gonna be the money unless you go universal. But you should be able to do it under $400 I'd imagine.

Check out Rockauto.com they should have everything you need. Check local sources as well. You never know which place might have the same exact parts for half as much as another place.

If the exhaust needs replacing because of the flanges being rotted off at the back of the catalyic converter, you can get 2 piece flange replacement kits for <$20.

If it needs replacing because the pipe has rotted out, I've had good luck with Bosal brand exhaust stuff from http://www.thepartsbin.com. After you put in the information for your car, click the tab for "stock replacement parts", that will filter out the unbelievable amount of crap they sell on that site.

any shop that can weld, cut, and bend raw lenghts of exhaust pipe should be able to fix you up for within 100 bucks

your best bet is a local ma and pa type exhaust shop, not some corporate place that wants to sell you new parts for anything you bring them

any shop that can weld, cut, and bend raw lenghts of exhaust pipe should be able to fix you up for within 100 bucks

your best bet is a local ma and pa type exhaust shop, not some corporate place that wants to sell you new parts for anything you bring them

I agree with the above advise. I doubt that your entire exhaust system needs to be replaced. Recently, my 98 OBW developed an exhaust leak. I took it to Ralph's Muffler in Indianapolis, my local ma and pa weld, cut, and bend shop. They cut out a bad section of pipe, and welded in a new piece. It took 20 minutes of wait time, and a cost of $60 out the door. Ralph's work is a hard value to beat!