Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water pump Failure...

Ok techs, here is the issue: My 92 Sub/Loy 1.8L has experienced failure.

The water pump is wobbling around causing the fan blades to rub against the radiator. Not good.

So it must be replaced , right? So where should I get the parts? Dealer? Aftermarket?

If I remember correctly, the timing belt(s) must be removed To R & R the Water Pump, Correct?

Can any one give me some tips, or pointers? Things to watch out for?

Timing belts do not have to come off, but the uter cover does, since 2 of the bolts thread into thde water pump housing. The crank pulley will have to come off.

This is a reason why folks leave timing belt covers off, so this work can just be done without anything more involved.

assuming your car is not turbo, you will want the 'long' water pump.

The 'long one has a 110mm shaft, the short one is 105(for turbos)

the difference is, the 110mm water pump has studs ont he water pump itself, and the pulley slips over it.

the 105 mm had holes on the shaft, and the pulley bolts onto it, and the studs for the fan are contained on the pulley itself.

other than that, the WP housings are the same. some may be new, some may be rebuilt.

some will have a stamped steel impeller, some will have a vanr type cast impeller. the cast units should be better quality. the less quality ones are like alternator fins.

you should expect to pay about 40 bucks for a water pump

Yep you got it right, you need a new water pump.

Personally if you want another 50,000 miles or so out of this car i'd buy the $60 ebay kits that have all new timing belts, timing pulleys, and tensioners. that's a smoking deal and cheap preventative maintenance. i do that for all cars when i get them.

miles - the water pump can be done without removing the timing belts? i didn't know that, i've always removed the timing belts?:confused: but i actually do far more XT6's than EA stuff.

i would also reseal the front of the engine but if it's not using much oil or leaking then you don't need to. it would be a couple more hours work to reseal the oil pump, replace the crank and cam seals, etc. if you have a leak then now is the time to fix it.

Ok techs, here is the issue: My 92 Sub/Loy 1.8L has experienced failure.

The water pump is wobbling around causing the fan blades to rub against the radiator. Not good.

So it must be replaced , right? So where should I get the parts? Dealer? Aftermarket?

If I remember correctly, the timing belt(s) must be removed To R & R the Water Pump, Correct?

Can any one give me some tips, or pointers? Things to watch out for?

You better use the search function first. Dont want anyone getting bent out of shape having to answer a common question.

What usually happens is that people who replace teh water pump replace alot of other stuff. Since they have it torn apart so far they usually replace the timing belt, pullys and tensioners. Reseal the oil pump, front main seal, cam seals, am i missing anything here boys.

Thanks guys. i started pulling it apart when things got slow this afternoon at work. The only thing I for see being a problem is the crank pulley Bolt. (this is a non-interference engine, right?)

It is gonna be a bear to crack loose. Other than that, I have pulled the alternator, and lifted the A/C Compressor out of the way. I went ahead and bought the timing belts, might as well right?

The Oil seal seems like a good Idea also. Never done that before.

Any pointers on the oil seals? (she's a leaker all right.)