Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt

does anyone have a detailed write-up on replacing the timing belts, i am using my subaru as my senior project and i did my timing belt already with no pics, and the repair book i have is not to detailed, any pics or step by step thing would be awsome thanks. also i am thinking about doing the pcv valve and i have no idea what im doing there so any help there would be very helpfull also. :lol:

pretty sure there's already some good info on here about doing timing belts. they're fairly simple too. remove everything to get at them, replace, and reinstall. the only tricky part with EA82 is alignment and that's all covered here.

which EA82 are you working on, the PCV valve might be in various locations. on the MPFI EA82 on the XT's they're super easy to replace. Remove hose clamp. Remove hose. Remove PCV. Not sure if SPFI, turbo's, etc are harder to get too?

well i know how to do the timing belt i did it already i was just looking mabey for a url to a thread that has pics of the procces and such becuase as i said i am fixing this bubaru up for my senior project and need to write a huge paper on the steps that i did. and im not sure which engine it is a 88 gl non turbo ea82

Miles Fox's write-up is pretty good, and illustrated.

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm

Don't forget to cite him as a reference in the paper!

PCV valve is dead easy, just pull off the hose and unscrew. There seems to be some bias here for the original Subaru part. They are only about 5 bucks, so why not? (Although such a simple check valve shouldn't be rocket science, not sure why aftermarket ones have such a bad reputation.)

• 10 months later...

A note on timing belt change. To loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt I use a bought a chain wrench (Harbor Freight) it goes all the way around the crank pulley and stops it from turning.

There is a great site that shows timing belt replacement and other tips ,check it out. allwheeldriveauto.com or Beergarage.com good photos

Edited by Jim Ma

well i know how to do the timing belt i did it already i was just looking mabey for a url to a thread that has pics of the procces and such becuase as i said i am fixing this bubaru up for my senior project and need to write a huge paper on the steps that i did. and im not sure which engine it is a 88 gl non turbo ea82

Check out this website,there is an article on timing belt

allwheeldriveauto.com

• 4 weeks later...