Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know the details of replacing the water by-pass pipe? The metal pipe running from the water pump back to the heater with the throttle body off shoot? I recently noticed the off shoot running to the throttle body has spung a couple pin hole leaks. Since I noticed it was rusted I figured replacement would be better than rigging it.

I figure I will have to remove the A/C compressor or at least move it out of the way. I need a new A/C Compressor so maybe I should do that as well. haha... Will the by-pass pipe feed through under intake manifold? (finger crossed)

I recently (last summer) rebuilt the two top halfs (sides:brow:) of the engine and replaced a ton of parts, of course this by-pass pipe was not one of them.

The pipe is held on with two 10 mm bolts along the top.

I'd pull the intake as its easy and it will give you open access to change the pipe. I doubt you'd get it out without pulling the intake.

I have good rust free ones if you need it. $40 shipped.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update for the person looking for the answer to my question about replacing that water by-pass pipe. Yes I had to remove the intake, I was able to swing the A/C compressor out of the way without disconnecting any of the pressurized hoses. I also loosed the water pipe which crossed over the engine from the passenger side to driver side.

Over all not as bad as taking the entire engine apart but for that stupid pipe to get a pin-hole in it right where they welded on the bracket to hold the pipe down is "BAD" engineering. It's also in a place where you can't really rig it but actually have to replace the pipe.

I will have to make a list of what I recommend to replace when you yank your engine to do a head job but I don't have hours right now to complete that list :lol:

I also loosed the water pipe which crossed over the engine from the passenger side to driver side.

I hope you replaced the O-rings that seal the crossover pipe.

It's my opinion that the o-rings on that pipe should be changed out anytime the intake is off. Definately anytime headgaskets are done. But people overlook them all the time, because they don't have to come out to remove the heads........though they should.

If you didn't replace the o-rings there it will leak......likely as steam so you won't see it real well.

Oh, now someone says something :grin: I didn't replace them, though less than a year ago I did when I did the heads.

I did have some problem though, it seems those cheap CHINA hose clamps didn't hold for the hose going from the intake down to the by-pass pipe. It ended up leaking pretty bad after a week or so... I ended up going and buying some "real" clamps and they are working like a charm. The top of the engine is dry, I checked today, so hopefully I will not have to take the intake back off and reseal the water pipe :horse: