Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need advice on clutch situation.

hey everyone. my 98 legacy ej25 dohc that has around 160k on it and i replaced the clutch at around 90k. i would say im pretty light on my cars and don't ever abuse them at all. the clutch is intermittently slipping a bit in all gears when i give it a hard throttle and im just kind of baffled my clutch is wearing out only after about 70k. does anyone know if there can be anything wrong with the hydraulic system or if bleeding would help the problem?

i remember the clutch in my loyale lasted like 140k and it's just a bummer im going to potentially have to drop $700.00 on a new clutch in the near future on my legacy. anyone have any information about higher quality clutches that are available for these cars as well?

thanks for any and all help!

My 98 had the hydraulics go out at about 105,000. Check to see if you have full travel. If they are bad it is more likely that the clutch would not disengauge rather than slip.

The clutch is the weak spot on the manual Subaru's If you start out in second and floor it it will slip even when new

My drive train guy did not have any HD clutch he would recommend. So he used one from the OEM manufacturer.

Clutch life depends on a lot of factors. Break in, driving style, flywheel condition, clutch quality, rear main seal or oil separator plate leaks, transmision input shaft leaks... thats about all I can think atm of but there are more.

Diakin/Exedy makes the OE clutches for Subaru, as well as Valeo. Either of those can be bought on Ebay or other online sources and will be comparable to a dealer bought clutch kit at less than half the cost.

Sachs makes a "heavy duty" clutch kit for Subaru which should hold up to more abuse than a stock repalcement. They also have a less expensive OE replacement alternative. Both can be found at Rockauto.com. Sachs builds OE clutches for many European makes including Volvo, Saab, BMW, and Puegot, among others.

The clutch is the weak spot on the manual Subaru's If you start out in second and floor it it will slip even when new

The AWD models pretty much have to slip, because the wheels sure aren't going to.

That is not right. The clutch is the weak spot for sure but it shouldn't slip when the pedal is out in any gear but 1st and even then only when doign High RPM clutch drops. I've owned every flavor of stick shift subaru imaginable from a recent STi to an 84 hatch and none of them behaved like that.