Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaping a ea-81 to a ea-82 turbo car

i am assuming you are using the ea81 mechanical disty. just connect it to the coil directly. the yellow wire is for negative, the black wire is positive.

if you are using an ea82 flywheel, the ignition timing marks will be different for the ea81 engine.

you are going to have to use the pencil in the cylinder trick to find TDC for #1.

follow the thread about tomrhere's 88 gl-10 with the ea81, as there is discussion about the flywheel timing marks

This is what Fox is refering to;

NOTE: Don't recall where I read it, or who told me this, but....

Just placing the EA81 flywheel ontop of the EA82 flywheel to transfer the timing marks is not accurate.

Aligning the bolt holes still leaves a 6* difference in the timing between the 2 engines.

EA82 flywheel on an EA81 engine leaves you 6* more advanced with the timing. IE; 0* on EA81 flywheel reads 6* BTDC on the EA82 flywheel.

Definet difference in where the 2 engines have the timing holes located, but apparently, the bolt holes on the cranks are clocked differently also. 'Cause as Miles stated previously, there's about a 30* difference in where those are located between the 2 engines, so the crank holes have to be clocked differently also to only be 6* different.

I've just about had my fill of trying to get the EA81 to run on the SPFI. Really thinking the Weber/EA82 manifold setup I have here is going on this engine.

For your issue;

I would pull all of the plugs and crank the engine over for a bit to clear out any excessive gas. Re-install plugs, and try starting it again. Chances are, you flooded it fairly good running the FI pump.

Edited by TomRhere

Ok thanks all for the help, I used the disy from the Ea-81. It real seems it is out of time the way it's acting. Thanks again for the help, should make a good offroader when done. Going to put a 6 inch custom lift on it with some 28's it already has the hi-low.

Jason

Edited by cryslr1