Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82->ea82t

kamnk

WELL i got turbo engine without wiring and need to know the difference in the wiring

and if I change only ecu will the engine run???

need to know

Sell it. Buy an EJ22. More horsepower, better economy, FAR LESS problems, and no pesky turbo. Save yourself countless hours down the road by putting a decent engine in.

An EA82T is only 115HP (thats factory, so unless its been rebuilt take like 10 - 15HP off that) while a naturally aspirated EJ22 is 135HP. So if you're looking for power gains, EJ22 comes up tops.

The EJ22 is regarded as one of the strongest and most reliable engines ever built by Subaru. The EA82T is regarded as one of the worst.

Considering you're still going to have to do the wiring and all that crazy crap, I would definitely recommend the 2.2l. It's a no-brainer.

If I do a EJ22 swap I have to change the intire wiring

but if I put in EA82T engine will it run with just the ecu

No. There will be some differences, which, in my case, I'd rather rip the whole lot out and start from scratch then to have to fiddle around with pre-existing ECU harnesses etc. I'm not hugely familiar with the EA82T computers, but there are several more sensors in any turbocharged vehicle, regardless of make or model.

If I were you I'd try to find someone local to you with a knowledge of how turbocharged engines and ECUs work. Just doesn't seem like you know a lot about them, and the best way to learn is to have someone there to help. Not trying to offend :)

EA82T are wery rare engines in europe

Slovenia has only 10 turbo cars ever sold

I know for five cars with those engins

so it is a cool engine here

Rare or not, they're horrible engines. If you're wanting to run an EA82T for the sake of it being rare, go for it. I'm just saying that you really need to have some serious funds or a good knowledge of these engines to make them a reliable daily driver.

And don't forget, if you're looking to increase the performance or HP of the EA82T, there are many here who have tried and failed, with only a couple making 150HP (? - May need correcting on that number). The best way to run those engines is stock, with maybe a top-mounted intercooler at most. Don't wind the boost up either - any more boost will kill it.

Just because its rare doesnt mean it doesnt suck. Dollar for Dollar the ej22 is a better deal. Im telling you the ea82 turbo has cooling problems and as soon as it overheats if it hasnt been already its going to have a blown headgasket. I know the wireing is monumental but wouldnt you rather do it once and be done with it then put in your ea82t swap the wireing then have the engine blow a few months latter. Or be disapointed in the performance gains you would get out of it. trust me ej22

Here are the specs for the EA82T:

EA-82T

The EA-82T engine was introduced in 1985 for the GL-10 models, and later on RX Coupe models. It is an MPFI EA-82 with modified cylinder heads and lower compression pistons.

Additional Specifications

* Turbo: IHI Corporation model RHB5 VF7

* Compression Ratio: 7.7:1

* Supercharging Pressure: 7 psi

* Horsepower:

111 bhp (83 kW; 113 PS) @ 5200 RPM (1985-1986)

115 bhp (86 kW; 117 PS) @ 5200 RPM (1987-1990)

* Torque: 134 lb·ft (182 N·m) @ 2800 RPM

And here are the specs for the EJ22:

Specifications

* Displacement: 2212 cm³

* Bore: 96.9 mm

* Stroke: 75.0 mm

* Compression Ratio: 9.5:1 - 9.7:1

* Valvetrain: SOHC

* Fuel Delivery multi point fuel injection

EJ221 Naturally Aspirated

* Horsepower: 135 PS (99 kW; 133 bhp) @ 5800 rpm

* Torque: 186.3 N·m (137 lb·ft) @ 4800 rpm

EJ222 Naturally Aspirated

* Horsepower: 142 bhp (106 kW; 144 PS) @ 5600 rpm

* Torque: 149 lb·ft (202 N·m) @ 3600 rpm

From that data, in terms of performance, reliability, and economy, the EJ22 wins in all three.

so you recomend EJ thanks

Will take EJ22 block and heads

EJ18 distributor and intake

maybi EA82 carlburetor

That's what I'm in the midst of. In New Zealand we had an EJ18 that came out carbed. Just take the EJ22 block, slap the EJ18 heads (with dizzy) on and run the carbed' intake manifold. Its the easy (or lazy :) ) mans swap, although I'm guessing I'm going to lose about 10HP due to the carb, but we'll see :D

That's what I'm in the midst of. In New Zealand we had an EJ18 that came out carbed. Just take the EJ22 block, slap the EJ18 heads (with dizzy) on and run the carbed' intake manifold. Its the easy (or lazy :) ) mans swap, although I'm guessing I'm going to lose about 10HP due to the carb, but we'll see :D

dont need to change the heads the distributor can be fitted to EJ22 head

it is all ready:banana: