Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting My Car Professionally Detailed.

I know, I know, why don't I do it myself? Too old & creaky do that kind of stuff anymore myself. It's an '86 GL wagon and I was cleaning stuff out of it today to take it to the detail shop tomorrow. When I pulled out the rubber floor mats I have always kept in it, lo & behold I discovered the original Subaru carpet mats. Not the floor carpeting but the mats themselves. They have never been touched by a foot since I bought the car new and are as pristine as the day I bought. It's good to just gaze at them every 24 years or so. Naturally the carpeting under them is still virginal. LOL

I'd been wondering off and on for many years what happened to the original thick carpet mats with the Subaru logo on them. I knew I wouldn't have discarded them or given them away. The detail guy asked me if I wanted the carpets shampooed and I said "no need, they've never experienced a foot on them".

I still have the original cargo cover, all rolled up, that I never used. I hope it's not brittle from being stored in the garage all these years.

After it's all detailed I'll take many pics. Of course, then all the soft dents will show up much better. There aren't that many but what there are pain me to look at.

Would it hurt anything if the dust cover caps on the wheels were off the car while it was being washed? I don't have to have them off but I have a nice thing for polishing them up and I wanted to put a coat of paste wax on them, as well as the new chrome license plate brackets. They say "Subaru on them - very cool-looking. I know the detail guy probably won't go to that much detail.

Would there be anything wrong with using paste wax on the headlights?