Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Parrot RKi8400 in 06 Impreza wagon

Lately I have been considering installing Parrot RKi8400 in our 06 Impreza wagon. I have also considered the various subaru speaker upgrades.

Is there anyone out there with experience with this?

Will it fit? Are there custom bezels to make it fit, does anyone make them?

Thanks

post-21857-13602764162_thumb.jpeg

WHY they don't have ANY information about what size the damn thing is on their website... beyond me.

Anyway. After digging around, I've come to the conclusion that it's the equivalent size of a single DIN head unit. So there should be mounting holes in the side of the unit that will match right up to what's on the mounting bracket for the stock head unit in your car. (hopefully they thought that far ahead) You can probably even use the same screws. It will fit right into your dash, no modification required. If you have the double din factory cd player you'll need a pocket kit like this one... http://www.amazon.com/Metra-98-8999-1991-2009-Mitsubishi-Vehicles/dp/B0007WW69O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275276573&sr=1-1

Subaru has one that probably fits better (it's made to fit the car). Not sure what the cost on it would be, maybe $20.

The hard part would be wiring. It appears that they don't make wiring adapter kits for the 8400, so you'll have to connect all the wires your self... in the dash. Or pay a bunch of money for an installer to do it.

There are 2 things you will need to install this. You'll need a dash kit (just a pocket in this case) and a wiring harness. This will likely take you 45 minutes start to finish even if you have ZERO experience (unless you break something).

Talk to your local stereo shop. They can supply both parts and most places will sell you the kit and harness right over the counter. If they carry American International kits and harnesses, you'll want a UPK-800 (pocket) and an SWH-924 (harness). Metra's lookup tool is currently offline. The Scosche parts are SU2026B (pocket) and SU03B (harness). That's pretty much the big three.

Pull your stereo out, disconnect the block connector at the back as well as the antenna. Pull the brackets off of the side of the radio. Attach the factory brackets to the new radio and your pocket. Take the harness for the radio and the harness you purchased and match the wires up color for color. The small red butt connectors are just fine for this. Connect the block connector on the harness you purchased to the vehicle. Connect the radio's harness to the radio. Attach the antenna. Reassemble. Done.

No sweat.

Thanks for your replies.

I will probably have Kromer in toronto do it.

I will bring the parts .

Also wondering about the various speaker upgrades available.

http://subaruproparts.com/index.php?cPath=1_24_37_49

http://subaruproparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24_37_49&products_id=457

Tweeters, upgraded speakers and Sub woofer.

How is this setup?

Thanks again for great replies!

I have confidence and I think I might do it.

The upgraded factory speakers are decent, but they aren't great. They want $130 for that set, but you can get an aftermarket set with a lifetime warranty and more linear response for the same money. As for the sub, it is NOT just plug and play. Especially since you're adding an aftermarket head unit.

Since you're going that way, an aftermarket sub would be better. There are a number of companies that make very compact subwoofer systems.

• 2 months later...

I finally pulled the trigger on the parrot rki8400 $325.95

also

H6300SS700 Tweeter Upgrade Kit

$36.00 $36.00

H6300SS401 Speaker Upgrade

$62.40 $62.40

H6300SS800 Powered Subwoofer/Amplifier 1 DIN

$102.40 $102.40

Two things worry me.

1. Is the Subaru already prewired for the Sub woofer?

2. I like the idea of a no cut wiring harness adapter but I need one that can do both the powered Sub and the rest of the un powered speakers.

Now that all my money is gone I wait for the mail.

I found this PC000044AA .

From England!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PC000044AA-eq-ISO-Subaru-Impreza-Justy-Legacy-Outback-/320566958427?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET#ht_3221wt_913

I later realized it was the wrong part but could still be used because the right side or the two male connector to the female Subaru harness connector was all that was needed to connect up to the Parrot harness.

I cut and taped the 3 common wires and discarded the left side ( male subaru to two female ISO etc).

This is the message I received from england.

I see from your photo that you have an RKi8400 - that is a car audio player but you have ordered a SOT lead for a handsfree kit

you should have ordered one of our RADIO-SWOP leads instead - please advise your vehicle's model, age and type of stereo/nav you may be able to use half of that lead but it is really the wrong type of lead.

Pretty sure this was the part I should have used

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC2-44-4-Subaru-Forester-Impreza-Justy-Legacy-ISO-Lead_W0QQitemZ160393548868QQcategoryZ14932QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D320566958427%252B320566958427%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5916829066871524340

Honky dory It works!

post-21857-136027643469_thumb.jpg

Edited by subaruplatt

I have received almost everything in under a week!. I installed the factory upgrade speakers and tweeters except the Subwoofer. The sound is already more engaging. Without the sub or new head the sound is more forward ( in the car )but with better bass and detail.

http://www.subarupartsmall.com/category.aspx?zcid=116

I am still waiting for the two din to subaru adapter that I found on ebay england but it hasn't even been a week.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320566958427

Then I intend to install the Parrot head unit and the sub.

I can't wait to hear the sub in conjunction with the new head unit.

I am a little concerned that the iPhone os 4 ( 3GS 32GB ) has broken the the dock connector in regards to the Parrot head unit and that is one of the primary reasons I bought the Parrot.

I have 30 days to return the head unit unopened in box to amazon.

Ios 4.1 is suposed to fix this and according to the rumour mill will be released September 1.

A little white knuckle for me as the head unit is the most expensive part of my purchase.

The speakers/tweeters went in easily and the door panels aren't nearly as hard as I had imagined to lift.

The new front 6 " speakers are only rated at 30 watts. I'm certain they are 4 Ohm.

The additional front tweeters are rated at 35 watts.

So up front is it all on the same circuit ?

The 4 " rears 30 watts max.

My new head is rated at 50 W per corner.

I bet the subwoofer will siphon away enough watts to equivocate the tweeters. The high level self powered sub is wired with both rear speakers so that should present some kind of load.

Still waiting for iphone iOS 4.1 release.

Edited by subaruplatt

The tweeters and mids should be on the same circuit. There should be a crossover network of some variety somewhere to make it all work properly. The powered sub does not use the deck's power to run. It merely gets signal from the deck.

Also, your new deck may show a 50w per channel rating, but I REALLY doubt you'll ever see it. You MIGHT get 10-15 watts per channel out of it. And I wouldn't get all caught up in the power ratings on the speakers. They mean ALMOST nothing at all. As long as you keep the power clean and don't run the deck into clipping, you can put HUGE amounts of power through a speaker.

FINALLY!

It is done.

Firstly the Parrot is really 23 watts continuous with fifty watts peak and is well within the specs of my upgraded speakers.

The centre console pieces were easily removed starting from the shifter bezel and working through the ash tray and finally onto the hvac/stereo bezel. The 2 DIN stereo looks a bit harder to do but the 1 din is really easy.

I had to lose 2 screws in the process of mounting the factory side plates on the new head unit. I had to move the whole unit forward one set of holes so the front would clear the plastic catch bin below it.

The plastic catch bin has two screws and two plastic pins. The pins had to be removed too. ( they did't align and would hold the mounting plates apart at an angle ).

Then I realized after I had the whole unit installed that the front of the Parrot was never going allow the factory bezel to fit over top, it was two big for the space in the bezel.

I had to involve a professional help 120$, as I don't even own a dremel tool.

I had the bezel entrance widened on the top and both sides and am reasonably pleased with the outcome.

The thing is amazing! well not true high fi, the mid fi sound is a HUGE improvement over what I had in the base model!:banana:

I did the dual mic s behind the steering column on the stationary bit, because it was such an easy place to install them. This placement has good audio quality no need to thread the mike all the way to the visor.

The Subaru Subwoofer sounds almost invisible I have the gain on it at about 3 o'clock and the whole system set to a custom eq but it also sounds fine flat.

One note to watch out for it you remove the drivers seat. The bolts are extremely prone to cross threading and it might be prudent to have some large washers and new bolts on hand.

I am now run flat and tweaking the subwoofer to match.

I am trying to establish a base level before I go with any EQ.

I am fooling around with both the gain and bypass on the sub.

MMMM.

post-21857-136027644157_thumb.jpg

post-21857-136027644163_thumb.jpg

post-21857-136027644169_thumb.jpg

post-21857-136027644174_thumb.jpg

Edited by subaruplatt
Sub Woofer

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-pc2444-subaru-legacy-vivio-tribeca-wiring-harness-adaptor-p-9245.html

Autoleads PC2-44-4 - Subaru Legacy, Vivio, Tribeca Wiring Harness Adaptor.

I think it's the right lead, although I haven't ordered it.

I made do withe half of the PC000044AA http://cgi.ebay.ca/PC000044AA-eq-ISO...#ht_3221wt_913

but I was forced to switch the red and yellow around which was convenient on the Parrot harness that included with the stereo.

Cut and tape the three common wires they are not used.

Red wire must be 12 volts hot at all times and orange wire must be on and off 12 volts with key.

This is at the Parrot din connector that enters the unit.

Constant power protects the firm ware from being corrupted and if it doesn't shut down gracefully when you turn off key you know you have this problem.

Edited by subaruplatt
recent info

• 3 years later...