Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone available to weld some struts for me?

brysawn

I'm just wondering if there is anyone available to weld some 2" extensions to my rear struts?

I live in Snohomish, and will deliver strut/spring. Also, when can this be done, how long will it take, and how much will it cost me?

Any help would be great.

Drop them off in Mt. Vernon, and I'll do them for you for $60 plus materials. Then I'll drop them back off in Mt. Vernon for you to pick up another day. I can do it in no time, but, I doubt you want to drive to where I live.

Not to try to give you a sales pitch or anything, but, I wouldn't just let any person fly at this half***ed. Chances are you'll end up with blown struts, and nothing to show for it. The eyelets have to be cut off carefully, and the welding needs to be done right. Otherwise you'll end up with leaky crooked junk struts.

I know this because I had to learn where to cut them on my first set. I've done alot of them since then. There are some tricks to it that people won't know their first time out. Other than that, I can do it in about an hour, and I can find an hour to do it pretty much any time.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

Yeah, Mount Vernon is pretty far. I welded mine today, and I used the perfect fitting pipe, and cut the eyelet off without even touching the strut. But it's a little bit crooked (it's tough to keep it lined up by myself, especially for my first time), not enough to where anything will happen, but it still bothers me.

There are no holes, or burns in the struts themselves, and I tried to keep them cool, but monitoring the temperature is a bit tough with an arc welder. The rubber bushings did melt a little, but I have it on the car and it seems alright, there is no way these welds are going to break

I welded mine today, and I used the perfect fitting pipe, and cut the eyelet off without even touching the strut.

There are no holes, or burns in the struts themselves, and I tried to keep them cool, but monitoring the temperature is a bit tough with an arc welder.

If this is a street driven car, you'll want to keep an eye on the bottom of those struts. If they get oily around the eyelet, your struts are dead. Where you cut the eyelet off is a natural weak point now, and the oil inside the struts will sometimes leak out the bottom of the strut where the factory plug welds were made. You can see the grain of the steel when you cut the eyelet off, and I often make a few tacks around the bottom, with the eyelet off, to prevent leaking. Once that oil is gone; you basically have a spring on a stick.

Hope yours works well.