Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Legacy L Wagon knock pok and shudder...

Howdy group!

I now have 30k miles on CCR motor #3 but it has developed some issues.

At idle there is a noticeable knock, on acceleration a stutter, and an occasional miss or shudder at idle associated with a 'pok' type of sound.

The knock seems to be coming from the rear/bottom of the motor. The knock can be heard best at idle but can't be heard at normal operating speeds. The knock can't be heard after a cold start but only after reaching operating temp.

Performance seems fine for the most part aside from an occasional hesitation or stutter when starting from a stop or accelerating... after the hesitation power comes back quickly. Also intermittent rough idle.

At idle there is an occasional 'shudder' which I think may be related to the hesitation under acceleration issue... at idle when this happens there is a 'pok' sound that seems like it could be a switch, relay or some kind of valve. This sound seems to be coming from the driver's side rear top of the motor although I haven't been able to isolate it.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I've recently replaced plugs, wires, fuel filter, injectors and throttle position sensor and the vacuum lines.

Thanks,

Mal

Edited by SubiPilot
additional info

What transmission?

Check around for vacuum leaks. One of those would cause your hesitation and rough idle symptoms.

As for the noise... BPT sticking? I dunno. Hard to say without hearing it.

Manual Transmission....

BPT? Sorry not sure what that is?

I'll see if I can't get some audio or even video of what it is doing.

Mal

I've got it at the garage now... hopefully they can find what's wrong...

The knocking actually seems to get quieter when I release the clutch in neutral...

I did notice a transmission related thing... as I'm coasting in gear the tranny seems awfully loud...

someone suggested maybe throwout bearing?

Mal

A TOB generally gets louder when the clutch is released because it will start to rattle around. A bad pilot bearing would make noise with the clutch disengaged (pedal depressed) but would go away entirely once the pedal was released.

Loud trans while coasting or decelerating in gear might be bad counter shaft, pinion shaft, or differential bearings. Could also be a worn center differential bearing. I suppose we can lump the input shaft main bearing in there too just because they have a habit of chewing themselves up in these cars. :rolleyes: But check the fluid first. Might need a change. Get a sample of the first fluid that comes out in a clean white or clear container to check it for metallic bits.

Sounds like a used 300k mile motor that is knowingly working properly would have been a MUCH more reliable choice.

This is incredibly frustrating to read, it drives me nuts just reading that thread with the same reoccuring issues. If they do not know how to rebuild the motors then they should not be in the business. To be on the 3rd motor and still not have a perfect motor is CRAZY!