Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Widen 1990 subaru legacy wagon

thefingD

General Question: I would like to know a few options for widening my subaru after lift.

Summary: My father has a junk yard, all of his friends have junk yards. I plan on going out and getting some 97 outback suspension parts fairly easy to do the lifting of my subaru. A quick run through the tire section I should find some fairly decent matches just it seems too top heavy and damaging on the cv's to lift it up.

My grandfather was a CNC prophessor for 30 years and my father is master welder, so I can do this the hard way. Which would be getting new axels, or custom make axels and then lengthen the a-arm accordingly. Along with some restructering. And lengthening and restructering of other components.

But I want to know if there is any easier way of doing it. Can I take the whole suspension axels and all off another year of subaru and just bolt them down?

I dont want mass widening just about 4" or so on both sides front and back. Has any body taken this task on yet?

There are no Subaru's that are enough wider than your '90 to make any real difference in the width. The differences from the Legacy on up are a matter of fractions of an inch if anything. Not enough to bother with.

You'll have to do it the hard way - the suspension components aren't the hard part - that's just machining and welding. The hard part is going to be figureing out something to replace the struts - they aren't going to cut it for the kind of travel you are talking about.

GD

I dont want mass widening just about 4" or so on both sides front and back.

I'd say 8" wider is a pretty massive jump.

As for CV's and topheavy.......pshaaawww.......

I say do a cheap lift and get a deeper offset rim.

And then wait at the bottom of the trails you are too wide to go up.:grin:

seriously, though give it a shot....love to see it. perhaps with some nitrogen shockes adn longer arms you could make it a good dune jumper.

Yea mudding isn't really my main priority. I want something that looks hot and is dune ready.

I'm definitely going to have to get some better struts. I'm going to have to change there top angle and mounting. I was going to tie the strut mount to a roll cage and reinforce it like that.

I want the baja bug version of a subaru.

Thanks for the responses guys, doesn't seem like a lot of people have done this mod, I guess Ill have to document it well and get people into it.

Thanks again.