Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 88 DL - help needed!

Ya, I am making my own stereo surround out of some left over 3/4" MDF. I got it all drawn up, I just need to cut it. Right now mines hacked in there, but that was done by the previous owner. That and I don't want to buy a surround when I can just make one :)

Those are some decent components! They *might* be too deep to install them in the factory place, but you can mount them "outside" the door panel and gain a bunch of room. Just make it flush with the door panel, and get rid of the stupid plastic grill that's built into the door panel. True2Blue did this, but his pics have been removed from his post. So I can't show you what I mean... I have shallow mount speakers right now that work fine, but when I upgrade my components I will probably have to do something like that.

You wanna go active eh? Whys that? That Pioneer xover should be fairly decent. I thought about going active as well, but decided against it. Too much work :lol:

As for the sub, you will probably be sad when you remove the panel and see how much room is not there. I don't even think a shallow mount 10 could fit into the panel. Unless you are good with glass, making a small box is going to be really the only way to get a sub into the subie. The box I made is small, but big enough to run a 12 with 600watts going to it and sound awesome. I hardly lost any room in the back of my car. I just had to rearrange things.

When are you going to pick up your subie?

What do you mean? I did the swap myself, so I know this is the procedure, if that is what you mean? I didn't get super detailed, but that is what I did to get it to work for me...

Bra i was saying i didnt know you could do that. I will look into getting the parts for the swap next time im in the Junk yard. I think you totally missed what i was saying on that one.

Bra i was saying i didnt know you could do that. I will look into getting the parts for the swap next time im in the Junk yard. I think you totally missed what i was saying on that one.

Ahh, I read it wrong, I thought it said "don't", not "didn't" my bad ;)

Yup, I totally missed you on that one :) I was tired and apparently couldn't read :lol: Sorry about that! :D

Ya, I am making my own stereo surround out of some left over 3/4" MDF. I got it all drawn up, I just need to cut it. Right now mines hacked in there, but that was done by the previous owner. That and I don't want to buy a surround when I can just make one :)

Those are some decent components! They *might* be too deep to install them in the factory place, but you can mount them "outside" the door panel and gain a bunch of room. Just make it flush with the door panel, and get rid of the stupid plastic grill that's built into the door panel. True2Blue did this, but his pics have been removed from his post. So I can't show you what I mean... I have shallow mount speakers right now that work fine, but when I upgrade my components I will probably have to do something like that.

You wanna go active eh? Whys that? That Pioneer xover should be fairly decent. I thought about going active as well, but decided against it. Too much work :lol:

As for the sub, you will probably be sad when you remove the panel and see how much room is not there. I don't even think a shallow mount 10 could fit into the panel. Unless you are good with glass, making a small box is going to be really the only way to get a sub into the subie. The box I made is small, but big enough to run a 12 with 600watts going to it and sound awesome. I hardly lost any room in the back of my car. I just had to rearrange things.

When are you going to pick up your subie?

It's raining and crummy today (for paragliding), SOOOO I may be going up to get it in just a bit. :D

As for active... Just thinking out loud. Probably not but like the PDX5 amp and a shame to waste 2 channels :-\. I was originally thinking of getting a REALLY nice new pioneer HU w/ time alignment... but now think i'll go a bit more reasonable for the soobie. Maybe use my existing HU and get the super nice one later for the FJ.

And for the sub - I have 2 SI BM Mk3's on order (way back-ordered), so when i get my paws on the soobie i'll just have to look at spaces i might be able to cram one. I have a fair bit of stereo equip kicking around for my FJ60 project truck, which i can re-appropriate for the soobie (including the speakers *x2*, some amps (PDX4.150, PDX1.600), and a HU DEH-P710BT).

The 84 FJ60 project is in limbo... this is my commuter car (or will be) replacing my *extra* 87 FJ60 beater (now parts truck). 22-24mpg sure beats 10-13! And having some tunes would be nice!! :headbang:

So today would be a good day to hit up my local PNP or Aaron's which isn't far from the house. Maybe get the pass side mirror if they have one there... poke about and see what i can do stereo wise...

better get some caffeine in my system and moving!

Thx!!

rob

Hey guys - i've called Aarons a couple times and went by this last weekend - no reply and nobody was there on Sat. Website says open 10-4 or some such, but door locked...

Are they still open? They are just over from my house which would be cool, but if i need to go to PNP up in Lynnwood i guess i will.

I'm looking for Door Panels, intermittent wiper column assembly and relay, and misc parts for rear security curtain install for my 88 DL.

On a side note - hit 11,111 miles last night going to help a buddy out at like 1am on the freeway. I've put just short of 250 miles on the soobie since it's been resurrected from the lichen!

Thanks for any info on Aarons or other parts places around here!

rob

Your prs speakers are oversize 6 1/2s (6 3/4) and are definately not going to fit without spacing them or modding at the very least. Nice speakers and would love to hear them btw. Just out of curiosity which car audio forum do you belong to I have never met anyone that knows who SI is let alone someone into old subes. I thought I was one of very few is gets a little crazy once in a while until eulogious popped here:grin:. Now I have competition so I gotta step up my game.

Mike

Your prs speakers are oversize 6 1/2s (6 3/4) and are definately not going to fit without spacing them or modding at the very least. Nice speakers and would love to hear them btw. Just out of curiosity which car audio forum do you belong to I have never met anyone that knows who SI is let alone someone into old subes. I thought I was one of very few is gets a little crazy once in a while until eulogious popped here:grin:. Now I have competition so I gotta step up my game.

Mike

hehehe - i'm just a gadget geek... so not necessarily mr audiophile. Though they should sound SWEET from everything i've heard.

Hey - i even stumped the local audio installer guy who's been doing it since i was born. SI is a cool little shop, it's a bummer they can't sort out production delays. Seems like every time it's delay...delay...delay. At least reading up on old sub releases it was same deal. Nick's a good guy and we've chatted at length about random stereo crap (helping me figure out what i want to do).

THe pre-order is on hold until he catches up, which kinda sucks because I think a .5 cu box would be perfect in the back w/o taking up valuable dog/hauling space.

At this point i'm tempted to do some if not all of the install myself and save $ for another BM mk3... hmm...

You are absolutely welcome to hook up and give it a listen when it's all done! Be great to meet another soobie guy.

My main delay right now is finding good panels to do the install for both front doors.

What years are the doors themselves the same? Can i easily use auto doors for my crank/manual doors? Maybe just swap in the nice vinyl top from a pair that's otherwise beat up? I'm looking 85-89 right now as that seems to be the range I'm 95% positive everything should fit.

I'm going back and forth trying to decide if i want to dynamat (i have some second skin extras) the doors before I install... dammit... this is supposed to be the cheap car! My 60 is a bit over the top (still in process).

Anyway - thanks man! hopefully we can hook up sometime over a beer. Would like to see some folks setups.

rob

OH, and as far as audio forums... I've been on SSA and DIYMA on and off. Mostly lurking and soaking up info, reviews on this and that, etc.

Avoid most of the other ones since they just end up being a bunch of trash talking kids. IMO.

Mike - i'll check those out if i haven't been lurking there already...

I got impatient and ordered one of the slim pioneer subs. I know the SI BM MK3's will show up eventually, but this way i can get some minor bump to the soobie. I'd like to reserver them for hte FJ60 ideally, but may end up swapping back and forth at least to compare. Should be no comparison though.

I think biggest improvement will be just getting decent speakers in it. And a new HU, and new wires, and and and... hehehe.

anyway - i'll make sure and post up progress.

On topic - if anyone knows good door panels that are a swap in please let me know.

Years that are compatible? Is it difficult to modify auto to fit my manual panels? Can you swap just the top vinyl somehow?

alrighty... Nite!

rob

I already adressed this for you my man. The middles unscrew from the top pad. If you get someone to get you nicer door panels from a GL you can unscrew the middle from the pads and mount the pads on your existing pannels. You can even use the new bottoms on the front if necessary. When you get your pannels you just need to look at the back of the door pannels and thell explain themselves. I recomend you do this when you are installing your door speakers. Also i wouldnt think you would need more then 6 1/2 for the front doors. Plenty of speakers in that size range.

I already adressed this for you my man. The middles unscrew from the top pad. If you get someone to get you nicer door panels from a GL you can unscrew the middle from the pads and mount the pads on your existing pannels. You can even use the new bottoms on the front if necessary. When you get your pannels you just need to look at the back of the door pannels and thell explain themselves. I recomend you do this when you are installing your door speakers. Also i wouldnt think you would need more then 6 1/2 for the front doors. Plenty of speakers in that size range.

crap - sorry!

That's great to know though, because the rest of the panel is nearly perfect.

As for speakers - i happen to have the 6 3/4's already (project truck was getting two pair). Since i figure w/ 150w RMS going to them i don't need a rear pair in either truck/wagon I have sets for both now. Moneys already spent so basically free at this point. :)

My brain is broken it seems - so much going on! Thanks for helping sort me out again!

rob

crap - sorry!

That's great to know though, because the rest of the panel is nearly perfect.

As for speakers - i happen to have the 6 3/4's already (project truck was getting two pair). Since i figure w/ 150w RMS going to them i don't need a rear pair in either truck/wagon I have sets for both now. Moneys already spent so basically free at this point. :)

My brain is broken it seems - so much going on! Thanks for helping sort me out again!

rob

Its koo wasnt tryin to get on your butt. Keep posting about your headlights i am interested in the outcome.