Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Introducing Roobie-saurus - My 88 DL build

She goes by Roobie for short. She's a very young gal w/ only 11k miles. A total find. Here's her 11,111 bday:

IMG_20100812_003830.jpg

I've been digging around, asking noob questions etc. (thx for everyone's help!)

SO i thought i'd have a single spot to put some of the stuff i've done/plan to do.

A couple quick and easy mods:

1 - Domelight LED'ification (i'm a LED geek!)

DSC_3942.JPG

DSC_3945.JPG

This is during the day and doesn't really show off the brightness!

DSC_3999.JPG

I'll get one from nighttime that really shows how much brighter it is!! (edit - added pic)

2 - Cup Holder - ftmfw!

OK, maybe not all that, but it's nice to have someplace to set your coffee.

DSC_3952.JPG

Before...

DSC_3954.JPG

DSC_3955.JPG

After.

DSC_3957.JPG

DSC_3959.JPG

DSC_3960.JPG

Installed - :banana:

Tall drinks can be tipsy, but everything else seems pretty solid. Cans of soda - no problem. Larger sodas from fast food - no problem. I'd be a bit careful w/ anything sticky until a bit was drank just to be on the safe side.

Also - I think the company that made these went out of business. They were stupid expensive originally and if you can find one now they are actually much more reasonable. just in case someone else is looking for a cup holder...

I also added the passenger side mirror. i got mine on fleabay for too much, and it did not come with the screws to mount it. :(

A quick trip to the local McLendon hardware... m5 .8 w/ washers = golden. :)

I've got a stereo install / build going. (some nice components, HU, Amp, and eventual sub)

Headlight upgrades will be next for this build thread.

Edited by sl33py

Added night pic above. Also - you can get the same LED (which BARELY fits btw if you can't tell from pic) from superbrightleds.com.

I'm going to do the LED dash bulbs next from them and just trying to figure out which color i want to do... I'll make sure and get before/after pics.

So this update is for headlights:

I got the autopal clear lenses from ebay. Not cheap, but not as expensive as the e-codes from Daniel Stern (which i wish i could afford).

With this car having sat for so long - it still had the factory installed IKI lights!

DSC_3988.JPG

Now it has some blingy clear lenses:

DSC_4005.JPG

I have a whole series of pics comparing lenses w/ stock... but here's the after shot on a hard to find dark road. Tough to keep the camera steady, so still a bit blurry.

DSC_4003.JPG

DSC_4002.JPG

The autopal bulbs suck (but were free). I know some silverstars would be better... But i think i'm planning on HID's (way overkill i know...) I'll compare them if i do go that route.

rob

The only problem I have with HIDs, I dont care that there illegal, is when you use them with a lense that has a deflector, because they blind people when you drive by. Just a heads up.

And also silverstars are ugly in my opinion, they are just blue ive never noticed an increase in brightness, if you like them then thats fine, im not here to tell you what to do.

but if you can find some hotter bulbs then thats the ticket, and relay the headlights. Trust me, my cars relayed and the lights are quite a bit brighter, just need some hotter bulbs and we got some fun time.

The car looks sweet. I wish I could fine a car that cherry.

The only problem I have with HIDs, I dont care that there illegal, is when you use them with a lense that has a deflector, because they blind people when you drive by. Just a heads up.

And also silverstars are ugly in my opinion, they are just blue ive never noticed an increase in brightness, if you like them then thats fine, im not here to tell you what to do.

but if you can find some hotter bulbs then thats the ticket, and relay the headlights. Trust me, my cars relayed and the lights are quite a bit brighter, just need some hotter bulbs and we got some fun time.

The car looks sweet. I wish I could fine a car that cherry.

yeah, I don't care if they are illegal as well. If aimed a bit lower it won't be any worse than most other cars.

I got the autopal reflector lenses since they had that internal "mushroom" blocker thing. Which i figured would help with HID's not blinding other people.

If i don't go HID, i'd probably do some Narva bulbs - better than silverstar (most are - i agree). I just know the autopal bulbs are blue tinted crap. Anything would be an improvement. :-\

The nice thing about HID's is that you get a relay with them. 2fer!

anyway - Roobie's coming along nicely. I need to motivate and go finish the doors for stereo install Tue.

rob

11K?! what a find, indeed. Throw up a full body shot.

I have one somewhere my buddy sent me - cell phone pic. let me find it and post it up. She's pretty clean, but did sit out for a lot of years so some moss/lichen ate through the paint in some spots on the hood, oxidized paint etc - most fixed by a good buffing and wax.

0803101617.jpeg

Before i got her - after wax.

0805101542.jpeg

After tint.

I'll try to wash her and get another full shot w/ a decent camera.

She's been great so far!