Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats up

My name is jeremiah i am new to the subaru forum and i recentley picked up a 1982 subaru gl wagon... i bought it about the beginning of july and about 2 days ago the rod went threw the block and now i am looking at doing a motor swap to run fuel injection.. wondering how hard it will be to do and how much it costs?

you want to do an SPFI swap? you'll want to find the write up for that.

as for cost, do you mean for parts or to have someone do it?

parts will vary wildly, depends on your resources and time and luck. pull it yourself yards close by with good rates and older EA stuff? got time to wait for a good deal or need it now? just depends, this stuff isn't at walmart! :lol:

same sort of goes for installing it. free if you do it yourself, to pay someone will vary all over the place being a custom job.

another good option is to post what parts you want in the parts wanted forum here. include your location as some folks arent' going to mess with shipping motors.

Welcome to the board!

My experience with engine swaps is limited but the Subaru swap I did was on a car about the same vintage you're dealing with. I did it in eight hours, working solo. Very do.able.

As for the upgrade, that complicates it all. Going to fuel injection, the electrical is going to be as big a project as the mechanical.

thank you yea a little weird to get used to...

i got a question for anyone that knows?

can a 1987 1.8l fit with ease in my 1982? i think its almost the same motor just not sure cause a guy is selling one really cheap here and i wanna know if it works before i go out and buy it

Thanks