Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 Thermo Vaccum Valve/Switch ports?

I have a vac diagram under my hood that is not helpful, since I don't have all that stuff on there anymore. It's weberized, too, and doesn't have the Christmas tree of hard lines and other extraneous vacuum crap that came with the hitachi.

Question: What components do the ports on the Thermo Vacuum switch terminate at? Which ports exactly on the thermo vac switch?

I've done a lot of research on this, but can't find anything specific enough to say, for example, the top port leads to the egr, middle to the charcoal canister and bottom to the carb egr port, or what ever it is. I'm looking for a definitive vac signal path please. Thanks.

Verify me on this, folks:

When Cold:

The thermo vacuum switch bleeds air from the air cleaner into the egr and timing advance nodes of vacuum, effectively reducing the vacuum in those respective lines, keeping egr closed and 0 advance on the ignition timing. At these nodes supplying vac to the egr and distributor, the respective vac lines from thermo vac switch are t-ed in. Another effect of the air bleeding in is it leans out the air/fuel mixture a little while the choke is closed.

When Hot:

No air can flow in or out of any of the ports on the thermo vac switch and the egr valve sees vac signal when it's supposed to and the disty advance sees vac when it's supposed to. No air is bleeds into the intake or bypasses the throttle plate.

How did I do?

Thanks for the pics, again. I always thought it was the other way around, the switch just cut off the vac supply. Instead it nullifies it. Cool.

Here's the vac switch all hooked up:

CIMG3335.JPG

Above, you can see where the EGR is T-ed into the valve. Below, underneath everything you can see where the distributor advance is T-ed in to the valve.

CIMG3337.JPG

I got fresh air from the hose that goes from the pcv system to the air cleaner:

CIMG3336.JPG

Thanks for all the advice you guys threw my way.

CIMG3338.JPG

Edited by kanurys

that's nice and clean! I'm gonna do that to my ea81 w/hitachi just to make it easier to work on!

A little engine degreaser goes a long ways. Also an almost complete rebuild makes the degreasing easier. Here's a link to my process: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114817

Oh, and ditch that hitachi for a weber. That will clean a huge mess of vac lines and wires up.