Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Undecided Engine Plans '87 Brat

biker921

As you can see I'm new, and only hope my question is in the right thread.

I am interested in an engine swap or upgrades to my stock 87 Brat. I have read a little about the engine being opened up by those in the aviation community, but have no clue where to begin looking (in Texas). I was also considering dropping another engine, but didn't know if I would need to change out the ECU, engine, and wiring to completely match to the converting engine type (as I would assume I would need to). I'm looking to stay looking as stock as possible, but my goal for HP would be to hit or slightly surpass 100, with a 5 speed transmission; ANY information that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

A Brat isn't going to have anything in the way of an ECU and not much in the way of wireing, etc.

For anything newer (that's worth the effort) you would need to switch to fuel injection and yes an ECU and associated wireing, etc would have to be added. It's no small job.

Alternatively you could build up the EA81 - you will have to tear the engine down to replace the cam and pistons (for higher comp.), and do some head work to open up the flow. 100 HP is easily done on your stock engine. You probably are looking at around $1000 to $1500 to build up the EA81. If you are into the swap idea you could get an EJ22 donor car - usually in the $500 range - then do some maintenance items, reseal, and get an adaptor plate and flywheel, etc. You are still looking at about $1000 to $1500 but you will get 135 HP for your trouble.

GD