Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 loyale brake problem (locked up)

Yesterday I went out to start my car and when I pressed on the brake the pedal popped and went to the floor. I have no pedal at all but the brakes are locked up so bad that the car dies no matter how hard I try to take off. I even had my dad pull me around the yard to break the brakes loose and the tires move but it still wont take off on it's own. I'm wondering if the "pop" was the brake M/C going out and now it is holding pressure in the lines. Everything under the dash still works and moves freely. The car has sit for 3 months.

I am not sure. I'll have to wait until this weekend because i'm away at college. Maybe i can con my dad into looking sometime this week. Is a master cylinder expensive? Is that something that can be easily rebuilt or found in a junkyard for cheap? This car is an off road toy so I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money on it but it needs good brakes.

dad lifted it up today and none of the wheels would turn. I want him to crack a bleeder valve and see if the lines are under pressure but the ground was wet and he didn't want to crawl under it. Is there anything special to look for in a replacement master cylinder? I am not using the hill holder so I'll probably delete that while i'm in there. Any cheap upgrades? It is a 1990 loyale wagon 4x4 5mt converted to D/R.

I ordered a new master cylinder from rock auto and of course I got the wrong one but I removed the old master cylinder to have it in front on me when I ordered the next one. What I found out is the plunger from the pedal moves freely but the piston or w/e on the master cylinder is stuck all the way in. I took off the lines and each one was under pressure but the brakes didnt release until I remove the line to the hill holder. Is that normal? I would think after the front and rear brake lines were off the m/c there wouldn't be any pressure left in the lines.

The hill holder cable is disconnected. I guess I'm gonna completely remove it from the car and plug the hole with a bolt. But the line that I disconnected that released the pressure was between the m/c and the hill holder. The hill holder doesn't hold pressure there does it?