Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I have a 95 Legacy with an engine that has a blown gasket or possibly a cracked head, and 215k miles. I made the decision to replace it with one that has 125K and runs strong.

Looking for some advice/tips on pulling the old and dropping in the new. I am planning on replacing the timing belt and water pump while it is out. Anything else that would make my life easier?? I also read that it is a good idea to check and change the crank seal while your that far into it; not leaking now, probably will start soon!?; and to pull the oil pump and check the torque on the screws that hold the plate on the back of the pump assembly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never done a full engine swap, but am excited to figure it out.

Thanks everyone!

actually best to reseal the entire front of the engine whiel the timing belt is off. it's not that hard - crank seal, reseal the oil pump, tighten oil pump backing plate screws, cam seals, and cam orings. valve cover gaskets aren't a bad idea either but they're not hard to do later either if you dont' want.

get the ebay timing belt kits - for $80 you get all new pulleys and the belt. you can't beat that and leaving the 15+ year old pulleys is tentative.

the e-bay kits are about $80, but....check the importexperts store on e-bay and you can get the complete kit for $125 that includes the water pump! beware go to your local dealer for all the gaskets and seals dont buy the aftermarket ones, the e-bay kits water pump gasket is ************ in my mind, just for ************s and giggles I'd just go ahead and do the HGs while its out, they wont blow for awhile if ever:banana: but since you will have the motor out why not right? get the updated ones from subaru, Ej22s are super strong, that motor will give you many years of service as long as you service it correctly.

Thanks a lot guys! Huge help! Suba9792, you are from Sandy! Right on! I grew up in Zigzag.. What do you mean specifically when you say, "service it right"? Stoked about the engine, only 120K and runs like a top. I will go to the dealer to get bent over on the price of gaskets and seals:grin: per recommendation.

I want this to last a long time.

What do you guys think about synthetic oil? Worth the money? In a pinch, can you blend with conventional, or is that a no no??