Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 swap in a brat.

wisdomwrx

Ok, so I own a 1980 brat gl ea71 4 speed manual 4wd. I have the know how and skills along with tools to do a swap. I am pondering on doing an ej22 swap for an early nineties subie. How much work am I looking at. What needs to be changed to allow the swap do I need to make special drive lines to fit in the smaller vehicle? Also do I need to make new motor and trans mounts? Will the newer rear diff bolt in? I'm just looking for some info about this swap specifically. Any know how or tips will be highly appreciated.

The reason I am wondering is because I just want more power, I live in the sierra's of northern Cali and the brat barely has the power to keep up speed due to the fact that everything is hills and corners.

Thanks

Ryan

Motor mounts will fit the same, you need a bellhousing adapter and use the flywheel to the 4spd drilled out to fit ej22 crank.

other than that its a drop-in, save for the wiring and the fuel pump upgrade.

use a fuel pump from any ea82 spfi or mpfi(turbo)

a rear diff fits the same as the old one

i recommend a 5spd swap to handle the engine. I have driven a ej22 brat with the stock 4spd, and you run out of gear too quick in 1st, and find yourself having to shift too soon and the gearing is all wrong.

Plus you will be doing fwd burnouts all day long just trying to drive if you get more than half way into the throttle

search about 5spd swaps regarding trans mounts and driveshafts.

I recommend an ej22 trans, you will basically follow the rules of a 5spd swap, this saves you the bellhousing trouble. you will have to swap the trans axle stubs from 25 splines to 23 splines to use the brat axles

If you have the time and skills to make a few modifications I would highly recommend using the EJ series 5-speed transmission aswell. You will have to fabricate new transmission crossmembers and extend the prop shaft. It also involves fabricating the shift linkage, possibly you will have to 'make' some space (ie. hammering the transmission tunnel).

Motor mounts will fit the same, you need a bellhousing adapter and use the flywheel to the 4spd drilled out to fit ej22 crank.

EA71 4spd is a top mount starter.

He will need a 4spd from an EA81 for a direct bolt up W/adapter plate.

Or he will need a 5spd from EA82, w/adapter plate, and modified crossmember, shifting, and driveline.