Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 ej25 camshaft front seals guidance

Have been searching the archives but I'm wondering if anyone knows a great link/ keyword search of the top o their heads. I'm @ 160000 and had the water pump timing belt done @ 120000. If a screwdriver in the flexplate hole will work to remove the cam gear nutz and the harmonic pulley, I'm relieved. Got the oil pump o ring and front crank seal on my list and definately the two belts out front. Is the harmonic pulley nut 24 or 22mm?

Make sure that you have the crank sprocket set for putting in a new timing belt. Hold the crank still or use the screw sriver in the flex plate and pop the cam bolts off. I say POP because if you give the bolts a sudden POP they will break loose alot easier than if you use steady pressure. Don't be surprized if the cam sprocket jumps on the timing belt.

Another way that I have used is to remove the timing belt and put it on the side. Get a lenght of old timing belt and wrap it around both cam prockets. Use a vise grip to get the belt tight and then work on the bolts. This way, you have no chance of damaging a new timing belt.

If you need an old belt for the job let me know and I will mail you one.