Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have the above mentioned vehicle. It has a 5 speed manual tranny in it. What I am trying to find out is what are all the interchanges for it? Will a Subaru Legacy GT work? or?

I have been told by some yard that some tranny will work, and others that wont.

Also, if anyone has pics of this it would help. But there are 2 fill and drain sections to this tranny. You can check and fill the dif by the dipstick. But where are the check, fill, and drain for the tranny itself, and the drain for the front dif.

What are the fluids used in the 2 sections of the tranny as well?

Help on this would be greatly apreciated. Got some odd noise going on in the tranny, and I am hoping its just low on fluid for the tranny side, because the dif is full.

The sooner the better!! TIA!

on a 5 speed there is only one fill hole, dipstick. the diff is part of the transmission. transaxle. It takes gear oil. Look in your owners manual.

As far as the transmission it has 4.11 final drive. So you need to match that for plug and play. Looks like outback is your best bet. but a gt may have the same 4.11 ratio.

http://www.car-part.com/

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_20/

Edited by Tahoe Subaru

tahoe subaru said it right. the manual tranny's have the the front and "center" diffs built into the tranny housing, all three components are lubricated with differential oil (gear oil) most commonly found is 80-90w, some places will have 90-145w i think. I ran that in my GL and it worked fine, the shifter moved through the gears a little slow in the winter, but once the tranny warmed up the oil thinned out. I've run both types and haven't had any issues. i would recommend, and use amsoil differential oil for the tranny.

The cross reference I have found shows the Outback with a 3.90 FDR. Do you have a chart showing something else?

The chart I found shows my outback having a TY754VCBCA transmission.

Also, does anyone know where I can find one of these trannys? In Colorado. The tranny in the car still works, but makes this weird chirping sound when in motion, engine on or off. The tranny shop I took it to is saying they would have to take the tranny out to find out what is going on. And at that point, its more cost effective to just replace the thing, I think anyways.

It could be a output bearing, or a input bearing. But I have never heard one of those making a chirping sound. Litterally like a bird chirping. Its not a constant squeal, just a chirp chirp chirp. To me, it does not sound internal.

This sound started right after we replaced the motor, and clutch. Everything works, just a very annoying sound. My current job means I use about a tank of gas a month, working from home. But my job just changed, where I will have to drive a bit more, about a tank or more a week. So I want to get this fixed befor it turns ugly.. Car currently has 190k on it.

the chart floating on the net is wrong. I have your same car and have changed transmissions. it is a 4.11 ratio.

look on opposed forces under train to get the ratio.

Also you can jack up 1 rear wheel spin it 1 revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns. It will be half the 4.11 or just over 2 turns. If it has the 3.9 ratio it will turn just under 2 turns.

remember to use a jack stand for safety.

that trans number is on the driver side, near top, front of transmission. that number is the same on mine. I replaced with a TY754VCACA

Edited by Tahoe Subaru