Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Drive shaft replacement

Okay, I'm a Fairly avid Subarooski. I've had a coupls of Loyale's, and several Outbacks. Now I've been bitten by the XT bug!!! I've found an XT6 within driving distance. The car has minimal rust, and EVERYTHING works, including the "Air Shocks" as the $eller calls the suspension. But needs a new drive shaft. Someone welded a crack on the old one and it vibrates rather violently above 45 MPH. He wants a Cool $1K for this otherwise complete project. Is there a Ready Source for replacements, or is there another car's drive shaft that will work in it's place?

by driveshaft i assume you mean the driveshaft to the rear diff and not the CV axles right? just making sure.

I'm not sure what he would have welded, that's really strange. but anyway....

That rear driveshaft is a two piece unit. If it's the rear part - those are the same across all EA82 vehicles and XT6's regardless of auto or manual trans. So that should be easy to find.

If it's the front piece, the part that actually goes into the transmission then you'll have to get one from a manual transmission or an automatic transmission as that is where the length difference is made up. but again an EA82 driveshaft will work as well.

if you want to buy the entire driveshaft to match then you'll want one from the corrseponding trans - auto or manual - and EA82's will work.

by driveshaft i assume you mean the driveshaft to the rear diff and not the CV axles right? just making sure.

Yep, the shaft going to the Rear Tires...

I'm not sure what he would have welded, that's really strange. but anyway....

I guess the shaft had a Crack in it, so they welded the crack together. Which in turn made the shaft unbalanced!

That rear driveshaft is a two piece unit. If it's the rear part - those are the same across all EA82 vehicles and XT6's regardless of auto or manual trans. So that should be easy to find.

If it's the front piece, the part that actually goes into the transmission then you'll have to get one from a manual transmission or an automatic transmission as that is where the length difference is made up. but again an EA82 driveshaft will work as well.

if you want to buy the entire driveshaft to match then you'll want one from the corrseponding trans - auto or manual - and EA82's will work.

Interesting! I'll contact the $eller and see which piece is Welded. Might just be a "Do-Able" project!!! :banana: