Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Tailgate Latch Disassembly

I want to disassemble my latch, both to paint it thoroughly and also to re-plate the chrome portion which is pitted on the under-side. I realize the two pins need to come out to remove the latch, and they're not meant to. :mad: Has anyone found a good way to do this and what did you use for replacements?

I also want to remove the badge. It looks like there's a little clip on the back side that needs to get pushed up to get things started - I'm assuming I'll then need to work against the double-sided foam tape at that point. Any experiences out there to share? Are the badges available new should I trash it in the process?

Appreciate any insight - finally getting close to dropping this thing off at the paint shop! :banana:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I'll provide my own answer in case anyone else ever wants to do this.

Indeed the badge does come off - it's just held in place with double-sided foam tape, typical of many emblems. The little opening in the back helps to get things started with a small blade screwdriver.

Getting the latch removed from the assembly is a little more involved, but not too bad. I took my 4" grinder to the smaller exposed head on each of the two pins. You need to get them fully flush, so it's all but impossible not to take off a little of the surrounding metal too. Even then, it takes some effort to push the pin out - need to make sure the casting is supporting or risk cracking it.

The reassembled version will more readily come apart - looks like some 6mm Allen head bolts will do the job.