Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 or 1985 Brat???

Hey guys, I am new to your board.

I am about to purchase my 8th Subaru.

I am trying to choose between a 1978 and a 1985 Brat.

I have never owned a Brat.

1978 is 4 speed with seats, brush guard and skidplate.

106,000 miles all original.

1985 is Auto, A/C, with seats, and alos 106,xxx miles.

Both are about the same money.

I can only buy one.

I would LOVE to here the pros and cons of each!

Also, is the topper the same for all Brats?

It looks like virtually NO tires are available for original 13" wheels.

Can I put 14" wheels on either Brat with mud tires?

Will Pugeot Wheels fit, if so where can I find a set?

thanks,

Tony P

Unionville, NC

I first had a 78, then a 1980, and now a 1985 BRAT. I like the looks of the round headlights on the older ones but my vote goes for the 1985, better ride, more cabin room, and a smiddgen more ground clearance. I'm still not proud of my rectangular headlights, but am much happier with the 85 over the others. Of course from the drivers seat I'm unable to see the headlights so no longer worry about it. If you get either one do yourself a favor and rip the front seats out first thing and put just about any other seat in the world in, I went with seats from a Dodge Spirit and have cut the chiropractor visits in half.

Well here in the historic forum, you are probably more likely to get pro-gen1 responses, since people here are more predisposed towards the 70s look. (and rightfully so, my 79 is probably the best looking of the three)

But the Gen2 is quite attractive in its own right, and has been mentioned it does have significant practical benefits. Easier to swap EJ engines, bigger cabin and bed, dual range transmission, and many also have the super fun halo twin roof. So of the two, I like the Gen2s better. But I also use one of my 85s as a DD, so might be a bit biased.

As to your other questions, BRAT toppers are speial, and do not swap between the two generations. You can also choose between high tops (so you can sit in the seats with the top on) or low tops (if you dont have seats or want/need a sleeker look) for each gen. My DD has a low top because it doesnt have the seats, and it is handy for stashing stuff, but we also have a high top for the 79. They each have their benefits.

Pugeot wheels seem popular around here for bigger wheels. I have hub adapters on mine and fit 15" honda wheels, but they have street tires not mud. So bigger wheels with mud tires might fit. But I have no experience with those tires to say definitively.

Oh, one last thing I just remembered, the Gen 1s have non vented front disks which I have seen be more difficult to find parts for. But if you have your heart set on a gen 1, there is a swap guide on the boards to put 83+ vented disks on. Something to keep in mind though.

OK guys, I am going to pick a Brat Wednesday.

To refine my questions:

The 1985 Brat is Auto without Hi/Lo tranny so does it still have lower first gear than a Gen1 4 speed??

The owner of the Gen1 says it has 100k miles on it and lots of new parts including a brush guard and skid plate, no A/C and get 30 mpg.

The 1985 (Is that a Gen3?) has Auto tranny, 106k miles, A/C, new windshield, no hi/lo and gets 27 mpg on hwy.

Both have nice interiors. The 85 is gonna cost me $700 more than the 78.

Can I assume that the 1600cc with 4 speed tranny with accelerate as will as the 1985 1800 with Auto tranny??

Both look really good inside and out and have jump seats and belts.

I REALLY wish I could get BOTH of them!

Thanks for ALL input, I do appreciate it!

One of these will be my 9th Subaru!

Tony p

Aaah, sorry. Didnt see the auto bit, that is a bit different. All of mine are manuals, so I cant really compare well there.

My 1600 with a manual definitely seems slower than the 1800 with a manual, but I dont know what an auto would do to the 1800.

85 is Gen2, there were no Gen3 Brats from the factory. (although one guy on here made his own) Gen 3 subarus are the 85+ wagons/sedans with the EA82 engines.

It may depend on your transmission preference. After driving a Brat with a manual, I dont know if I could go to auto, it just takes alot of the fun out of it. Although my wife might appreciate the auto, alot of the womenfolk we know seem to have trouble with manuals, for that matter.

So if you like or can stand autos, you might still try the 85. Also if you plan on doing alot of summer driving, of course. Brats cool down pretty well with all those windows open, but summer heat gets to everyone eventually...

Given the situation though, $700 could be a whole extra car, not to mention money to get parts, of which you will likely need many. So that plus the auto might swing me to the 78, if I were in your shoes.

One caveat: if you can, and haven't already, try to do a thorough inspection for rust to judge the relative condition of the bodies. They are going to have rust of some sort, but not all rust is created equal.