Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Subaru Legacy won't stay running

Hey all, I have a 95 Legacy Wagon that will start and run for about 10 seconds then it dies. It will stay running if you squirt starter fluid in the breather, but obviously that doesn't indicate the real problem. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. I really think that this is an electronic (sensor) issue. If I bought a code reader would it tell me which sensor was bad? Any other ideas would be appreciated too. thanks-

You can buy a scanner, but you need a fairly high end one to be able to read sensor outputs. For now, forget about the scanner and use your eyes instead.

Start by doing some basic checks under the hood. Like 1324 suggested look for any loose/broken/split vacuum hoses. There aren't that many. Just follow the vacuum diagram on the under side of the hood to see where each should go. If you had the intake tube off, check all the hoses that attach to it for a good tight fit. Check the clamps on both ends and make sure they're tight.

Check around for unplugged electrical connectors. The MAF sensor is one that people often overlook after after removing the intake tube.

It stays running by squirting starting fluid in the breather? That says you have a fuel mixture problem. Way too rich or way too lean to maintain combustion. That can be caused by a dozen different things, including a few senors. The most common for causing starting issues is the coolant temp sensor. That can easily be checked with a multimeter if you have one.

But either way, stop spraying starting fluid in it. They call it starting fluid because that's what its for, to get it started, not to keep it running. If it won't stay running on it's own the starting fluid will damage the engine. Stop using it, or you'll be worse off than you are now.

• 9 months later...

Hello -- I just registered on to usmb after seeing your post -- I have the same problem with my 91 2.2 legacy engine--shuts off after 4 seconds but I'm not too good with computor--having trouble figgering this forum thing out--I clicked on the 'help' but its not helping me. any avice? I found your posting thru -wont stay running- on google , thats how I found the usmb website.