Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Knock on Boost

Hello! after selling my EA82T racecar to my buddy, he's been driving it around all over, and today when he got in it, it fired right up as usual, but when the turbo light comes on, it sounds like a pretty bad knock only on boost.

Kinda like a HLA but louder, and again, only on boost. Cold engine, warm engine, but if its sitting idling parked, and you rev it, you cannot get the same sound out of it.

I'm not to familiar with turbo sounds (for diagnosis) but i would think its...the turbo? no smoke, just a knock.

I have a mechanics stethascope, but i cannot get the sound under the hood when its parked!

Ideas oh wise ones???? Thank you!

turbo bearings sound likely, a hint of passengers side might help narrow it down, any indication of left/right? how old is the turbo and how many miles, i bet you're right and it's got some play.

pardon hi-jack L.O. does the XT6 need the axles in the trunk? i didn't notice any clicking/noises (yet:lol:)?

I'd pull the intake hose off the turbo and check the endplay of the turbine shaft. There should be a little play, but if you can move it around a lot, it's probably gone. Also check for aluminum shavings in the charge pipe between the turbo and the throttle body.

Overrevving these engines doesn't seem to hurt them. I've had mine up over 8k rpms a bunch of times and it hasn't complained, other than the digi-dash beeping at me.