Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm guessing that the heater control is a push button type setup correct?

If so, the problem is likely with the electronic HVAC control unit. There's no vacuum actuation with the HVAC unit.

The first gen legacies had an issue where solder joints would crack over time and you would get intermittant issues where the HVAC buttons would not work. I ended up taking apart the HVAC unit, found the cracked solder joints and resolderd them. Here's my thread with some more info and pictures.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1142

I do not know if the 2nd gen legacies had issues with the solder joints like the first gen. So it may be that or something else wrong with the HVAC control unit. Hopefully someone else will chime in that may have experienced something similar.

Yes it does. The cable for the knob which allows you to adjust where the air blows connects to the air control box up under the dash in the driver's foot well. There is a clip that holds the cable in place so the mode selector door can move. That clip has popped out of its spot, so the cable is just moving freely. The clip needs to be put back in its spot and things should be fine.

This happened on my 97 impreza, and I just bent the tab out a little bit so it would grab into the plastic housing better. I don't have any pictures, but if you can't find it, I could try and take some pictures.