Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new owner 93 Loyale Wagon

Hi guys I'm PJ. I've recently acquired a 93 Loyale wagon for $200 It had a gummed up radiator and an supposed new clutch before it came to me. The clutch only engages right at the top of the pedal run. A friendly mechanic messed a bit with it and got it to engage just a bit lower down the pedal run but not nearly in the middle where I would like it. The radiator problem was solved with a new one for $110. The car has an infernal rattle coming from the shift lever and I like to learn if there is an easy fix for this? It disapears as soon as I get hold of the lever but my right hand has better things to do while I'm driving. I quite like the car but at 72 my mechanical skills are worthless if any kind of awkward wrenching positions are required. At 6'4" its all I can do just to get in the thing. Ideas? Thanks PJ

I see you have two threads going. Well again, a warm welcome to the USMB! (I can use all the warmth I can get living in WI) :)

Heres what I posted in the other thread;

You should be able to adjust the clutch cable since its a non-hydraulic clutch. The adjustment should be right over the bellhousing (Under the spare tire if its in there) you can adjust how much slack is in it to make it more responsive, you would also adjust it when the clutch disc gets worn to keep the clutch right there rather then letting it out so far.As for the rattle, I'm not sure, But I am sure GD will pop in and give his word on the whole deal.The Loyale/GL (EA82 engine) is a good engine and won't let you down as long as you do a little bit of preventative maintenance. Keep coolant and oil in it and she'll be happy, and check the timing belts from time to time.

Cheers!

-Tom