Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater Question

Hi i just joined the group i got a 94 loyale thats my daily driver and a 92 loyale that i got for 199.99 as a parts car with 157k anywho my heater switch will only go up to 3 then there is something blocking it from going to 4. Also i think the resister might be bad because 1 and 2 both feal like the same speed of mabe working but cant feal any real air movement. So it might just be speed 3 thats working.

So is it hard to take the switch from my parts car and put in in the dash on my 94? Also where is that resister? in the dash behind the glovebox i think i heard?

thanks

Not sure about the switch, and it is too dark/cold/wet for me to go have a look right now. :grin:

The resistor pack is next to the blower motor (and partially mounted to it) in the passenger footwell near the kick panel. Stand on your head in the passenger seat and you should be able to see the blower motor pointing straight down. The resistor pack should be just firewall side of the motor IIRC.

hey northwet is it on the firewall side under that black plastic peice thats held on with a few screws? or is it kind of up around the corner of the firewall? thanks for the replys

one other thing my fan switch in the dash will only go up to speed 3 and some thing is blocking it from going to the 4th setting how hard is it to switch out this fan speed control switch in the dash?

thanks

The pack is literally mounted to the bottom of the plastic heater ducting, with all of its resistor coils inside of the ducting. IIRC (it has been awhile) one of its (2???) mounting screws is also used to mount the blower motor in the same duct.

Regarding the control, I have not done one, but I believe that someone else asked and was given directions in the last month. (Winter always seems to bring out these Q's)

if you have 1,2,and 3, the resistor pack is fine, because position 4 bypasses the resistor altogether(full power)

chances are that the switch itself is bad. try pulling or pushing on the knob to see if it makes contact. or pull off the knob and move the post up or down.

i had one that faile on me in this manner, wehre i took off the knob and shoved a pen in the hole, and secired it with a rubber band to give some upwards tension. I was able to take the switch apart and rebuild it to make it work, but it failed again.

If you wish to remove or replace the switch, you will have to remove the instrument cluster bezel. But, before you do this, pop out the DEf and the OFF buttons on the heater control and remove the 2 screws. If not, the whole heater control cluster will come out withthe bezel, and you risk breaking these screw tabs, which are the only thing that keeps the heater cluster from falling into the dash.

once you have the bezel off, you can remove the 2 screws behind the heater switch knob to replace the switch itself.