Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 99 OBW gives a loud clunk when I put it in reverse first thing in the morning. This only happens when the car is cold. If I take the tranny down to drive and let it sit there for a few seconds, then put it into reverse it will either not clunk or clunk less. I did a tranny fluid change a few months ago, and the levels are up. I have very little knowledge about transmissions. Any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks

-Lance

my 99 OBW gives a loud clunk when I put it in reverse first thing in the morning. This only happens when the car is cold. If I take the tranny down to drive and let it sit there for a few seconds, then put it into reverse it will either not clunk or clunk less. I did a tranny fluid change a few months ago, and the levels are up. I have very little knowledge about transmissions. Any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks

-Lance

the 99 auto trans has a known ''slow to engage'' issue which has corrected for some folks by using a trans fluid additive ''trans-x''. i don't know if that's what your ''clunk'' is, but there is a great thread about it. use advanced search, look for ''trans-x''+ fixed + slow + fluid and you should find it. it has 100s of responses. i think rooster, maybe rooster2, started it.

holler if you can't find it.

clunk could also be a bad trans mount or maybe a drive shaft issue, but i would think it would clunk in more than just reverse and first thing in the morning.

Edited by johnceggleston

I have read about the transmission additive and I have been wanting to try it. I just did a HG job and am kind of low on money right now, but once I get some money I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the information.

-Lance

try this tomorrow morning.

shift into R and then just wait, do not put your foot on the gas. if possible maybe take your foot off the brake too. see if it clunks, or just engages slowly.

or, back into your spot tonight and do your normal take off in the morning. see if it clunks going into D. the next day, back in and try shifting into D without any gas.

Well, I can not shift it into reverse without engaging the brake. What I did do was; engage the brake, push the button in on the gear select, let go of the brake, then shift into reverse. The clunk was a little less, but still sounded like it was shifting hard.

What would cause it to clunk when the brake is engaged?

thanks

-Lance