Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DOHC turbo coil pack corrosion

Tried searching, but I don't think I'm very good at that. Last time I changed spark plugs (several thousand miles ago, but no more) I noticed some corrosion on/around the #2 coil pack mount bolt (this is the coil-on-plug engine on my Baja). I cleaned it up by brushing it some and put it back together.

The other day, I had a blinking CEL in the dash for a short ways during cold-start acceleration. I backed off, coasted for ~1/4 mile, and the light stopped flashing and went out. Put our code-reader on it a while later, and there was a pending P0302 (misfire cylinder #2). It was a pending code only, and the CEL has not come on nor blinked since.

Any chance the corrosion is related to this CEL? I haven't looked at the coil pack since replacing the spark plugs, as plugs are a bit of a pain on this engine.

What is the cause of the coil pack mount bolt corrosion? Is this a symptom in any way of a failing coil pack? MPG is trending down recently, but that could be from any of a few factors that I'm looking at.

Thanks for all help.

Corrosion is inevitable. Corrosion on the mounting bolt shouldn't be the cause of a misfire, but clean it again just for giggles. And coating it with anti corrosive paste or spray should help keep corrosion to a minimum.

Improper plug gap or a weak spark from a failing coil pack could be possible too.

A lean mixture creating spark knock would cause the knock sensor to retard ignition timing. Turbo engines are very easily damaged by spark knock so it's not hard to imagine the knock sensor could retard spark so far to cause misfire.

A bad O2 sensor could cause misfires as well.

What are your ideas for the fuel mileage?

What mileage is on the car?

117k+ on the truck. MPG may be related to injectors. I'm sending them to Mr. Injector here in a few days. It's also been below zero the last week, although I have a garage that I park in, so it's only mid-20s in there. The cold combined with Rotella 5W40 can't be helping mpg, and the oil's coming out as soon as the injectors come out.

Most recent tank calculated to well <19 mpg. I haven't had mpg that low in this truck since the first winter I had it, when I picked it up sorta neglected with ~78k on it. ALL of the maintenance is up to date or better since I've owned it.

I hadn't considered an O2 sensor. If injector clean/rebuild + the oil change doesn't help, I thought my next move would be plugs (shouldn't need them for a very long time, but...) or this coil pack, but perhaps I should look to the O2 sensor as well?