Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would suggest looking at the fuel filler neck. They have a plastic shroud around them that traps salt and such and rots out the metal pipe and the valve body at the top. There are vapour return lines there that may be compromised and would emit gas fumes while there is still fuel pressure built up in the system. I have replaced two such pipes, but both times there were also P0440 CEC's in the system. Don't know if this helps, but at least it's a place to start.

I would suggest looking at the fuel filler neck. They have a plastic shroud around them that traps salt and such and rots out the metal pipe and the valve body at the top. There are vapour return lines there that may be compromised and would emit gas fumes while there is still fuel pressure built up in the system. I have replaced two such pipes, but both times there were also P0440 CEC's in the system. Don't know if this helps, but at least it's a place to start.

To clarify, might not be necessary:

If your check engine light is on...you probably have an emissions code for evap system leak or similar and its probably this filler neck is rotted out.

'01 has the phase II 2.5. Most commonly on these is the rubber junction lines under the intake. These are not as susceptible to fuel filler neck rot like the earlier ones, different setup. If you look where your fuel lines enter the intake manifold from the fuel filter. Look directly below them, between the intake runners and you will see a fuel line with two clamps. Make sure your clamps are tight. On the passenger side, towards the front is another junction, under the metal fuel injector cover. One clamp you can get to, the other you can remove the cover, or drill a hole through it to make sure it's tight. Then on the passenger side towards the back of that metal cover is another junction. These are the most common sources for a gas smell on that motor. It's usually most evident in the morning when the motor is cold. First thing in the morning look at all those connections and see if they are wet, when you first start the car. 9 times out of 10 the gas smell can be fixed by tightening the clamps.

94Loyale, you rock! Just cranked it up after overnight and checked the lines, the line under the fuel filter lines to intake manifold was indeed seeping. Tightened that up... hope that's all that's seeping and many thanks for your help and everyone's suggestions!!! :headbang: