Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 subaru GL wagon help

hi new to this not sure if this is the right place but got a 81 Subaru GL for free. runs good and off roads great better then most trucks but lately when driving it there is popping from the right front side and sometimes shakes really bad up and down hill unless i push the clutch in. Once i push it in it all goes away. tires do need to be balanced cause lost the weights. so idk what is going on and i checked CV joints and everything and there all good so any ideas. its my daily driver and cant afford to have it down

When you say you did a wheel bearing check, what is that?

The first thing I would do is jack up the front of the car (one side at a time is fine) and try to shake the tire by hand - both side to side, and top to bottom. If you notice any play at all try to determine where its coming from. Common failure items are the ball joint, tie rod end, and inner tie rod. Also make sure the big nut on the end of the cv shaft is good and snug. I once thought I had a bad wheel bearing, but it turned out this nut was just not tight enough. Good luck!

Nick

ya i jacked it up and did side to side and top to bottom and there was no play at all. i couldnt move it top to bottom and side to side only moved the steering wheel and thats it. i will check the nuts but im thinking something needs to be greased

Don't take that as a given that it's fine. The busted wheel bearings in my old DL would generally show no play whatsoever. They were shot though.