Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 OBW. Stock head unit (P120, with cassette and weather band, that interfaces with OE cd changers or players.) Also have OE tweeters and subwoofer installed. I would like to replace this head unit with something 'new' like an Alpine, Pioneer, etc. that accepts front auxilliary input but still permits me to use the existing OE cd player and speakers. Suggestions?

I hate my pioneer foible din unit.

I would be very surprised if you found anything that would allow you to use the stock cd player, but double check on crutchefield.com (sp?).

Why the front aux input? Look for a head unit that can control whatever type of mp3 player you have. Some head units, mine included, can also control a hard drive. I've never tried as my iPod works just fine, but the option is out there.

There is NO aftermarket radio that will allow continued use of the OE CD changer. If you hunt around, you may be able to find some adapters, but they usually don't work terribly well. Just know that.

Retaining the tweeters is no problem at all. retaining the factory sub is a bit of a trick, but any competent stereo shop should be able to work it out for you.

The customer service guys at Crutchfield electronics have always been very competent and super helpful fielding questions like yours over the phone. I would call them first vs emailing them or viewing their website.

I asked two different Crutchfield reps why double din stereos were listed as "does not fit" for my 98 OBW and they told me Subaru isn't actually double din and I "had to" use single din with a pocket kit. Come to find out that any double din will fit if you use the stock brackets.