Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 engine swap

not easily. you can install a V8 in it, so "yes" is almost always the answer to a motor swap.

the 99's are a Phase II EJ22 and will complicate things. verify that it's a phase II with the spark plugs going through the valve cover gaskets.

those have a MAP verses MAF set up so i believe if you get it to work it'll have a check engine light and not idle well. not practical if you have inspections/emissions that look at that.

or you have to do some custom fabricating to get it to work. one person that i can think of that did it needed to do some welding for that MAP/MAF issue....hopefully i'm missing something and there's an easier way though?

the engine changed in 99 so the intake manifold won't bolt to any earlier EJ22's, but you'll need the engine harness for it to plug and play. so you'd have to remove the intake harness off the 99 and install it on an earlier intake manifold that will bolt to your existing engines. but then you run into the MAP/MAF changes I believe....and maybe more.

or you can try an actual engine swap - entire EJ22 engine, intake manifold, wiring harness, and ECU - that will definitely work.

the good news is the motor will bolt right into the car.