Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GEN 1 Bushes

Hey guys, I'm trying to track down suspension bushes for the GSR currently, and am not having much luck.

There are no listings here in NZ, and the bushes don't match anything in any catalouges size-wise apparently.

Looks like I may have to get them custom made, which I'm not so keen on (read-pricey)

The bushes I desperately need are steering rack mount bushes and the rag joint between the steering colomn, but if anyone knows of a supplier with a good price I'll be getting basically everything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much

John B

The rag joint is the same for all (flat four) Subarus until the release of EA82 engined cars in '84/'85. You can also use the rag joint for a '60s - '70s VW Beetle. I believe you just need to change the four metal spacers in the joint for the Subaru ones as the VW pieces are a different size. SUBARU3 has done this and it works fine, you may want to search his posts about this.

As for the steering rack bushes I think the only option will be to have them custom made, unless you can locate some NOS. Having removed the steering rack from my '74 sedan I can tell you the rack bushes are simple in design (just round in shape - unlike the later steering with the square bushing on the passenger side) so I cannot imagine they would be too expensive to make.

My '78 wagon needed a steering rack bush made for the (round) driver's side. It was made out of urethane which was frozen in an industrial freezer and then 'machined' in a lathe. I think it cost around A$60. The square shaped bush on the other side of the steering rack moved around but was OK and reusable.

The biggest problem on the early Subarus, such as your GSR, will be the bushing for the transverse link where it mounts to the engine crossmember. This is the weirdest shaped bushing I have ever seen! I assume the only way to replicate this would be to make a mold of an original piece and make copies.

I hope some of this may be useful!

Cheers

Lee

Ah of course, the bushes on the crossmember end look fairly new on mine (red nolathane looking), so I hadn't planning on touching them untill later perhaps unless they were readily available.

I just remembered something though about the steering rag joint, about 12 months ago when I noticed it failing I pulled the rag joint out of my '81 Brumby assuming it would be the same, The ragjoint in the GSR was roughly 5mm or so smaller diameter. So I'm not too sure there anymore.

Cheers for your help.

• 3 months later...

Just some closure for this, I ended up getting the two rack mounting bushes custom made, and the round 'rag' joint bush the same.

Just had to very carefully measure EVERYTHING, they came out pretty good. Company here called 'Autoline'