Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY 02 OBW VDC RT Fender Cladding

Ok, i got into a minor front end collision on the 13th (just my day), i need some minor body work, and my insurance estimator came and gave me his estimate. My father delt with him, so forgot to mention the broken cargo cover and missing tow eye cover, no biggie, i'll call the guy and get an extra ~200$ for that stuff. Friend is doing the body work work so i will have a good chunk of the check left afterward, but i was going through the estimators repairs he though i needed, and i notice "Fender Cladding RT" and it's listed as refinish and repair job with like .3 hours of labor. What is the fender cladding? Tops of my fenders are just metal, and all i notice is the bumper cover and it only being supported by one or two screws that are hooked up to a piece of metal that has bent and obviously has a ton of missing plastic pins. What the heck was this guy talking about because most of the damage is on the right side and the only visible damage on the left is these loose bumper connectors

What the heck is the left fender cladding? the right side does NOT need this repair, and it's got most of the damage (dent in fender, hole in bumper, tear in bumper, scratch in bumper, minor hood damage just to the right of the grill, torn tow eye cover)

Edited by lesstutrey

The Right hand side of the car was damaged correct?

Is this an Outback model?

If the fender has any paint damage that causes it to need to be painted the common repair method is to blend at least the front half of the fender, if not repaint it entirely. This means removing any trim, such as the vinyl that wraps around the wheel arch.

Depending on what software package he was using he may not have found any decals or badges on his database. I used to do estimates for a busy collision centre and sometimes wouldn't be able to find what I was looking for. He is probably trying to allow time for some measure of repair, just not able to list it exactly as he wanted. There are provisions for manual entries and descriptions, but some insurance companies flag a file that is sent in with manual inputs. Maybe he was trying to avoid any headaches when he could obviously tell something was accident related.

OBW's have the lower cladding that's gold. on the doors and front fenders, a small piece just behind the wheel. That's what he's referring too. Either he saw some damage on that or like previous poster said added it for some buffer.

Does it matter that he added something so small?

Edited by grossgary

OBW's have the lower cladding that's gold. on the doors and front fenders, a small piece just behind the wheel. That's what he's referring too. Either he saw some damage on that or like previous poster said added it for some buffer.

Does it matter that he added something so small?

I just wanted to make sure i wasn't gonna end up missing some part in the repair because we didn't order the bumper cladding. Probably just allowing for time to repair it since, as was said, the damage is to the right side, and the clips are broken on the left, so probably just allotting some hours for lining those back up once the new skin goes on.