Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just joined the 200K club again

My 95 subaru just passed 200K mi. I bought at 126K. People may be interested in what has gone wrong, other then normal maintence, over the last 74K mi.

1. Leaking oil pressure switch

2. Fuel pump failure

3. Screws frozen in timing belt guard

4. Leak in gas filler tube

5. Starter failure

6. Alternator failure

7. Coil failure

8. Front brake caliper frozen

9. Steering tie rods and boots failure

It's been kind of interesting trying to fix these things. I've become real familiar with the local "u pull it" junk yard. On top of this, I'm in a life and death struggle with rust in the rear panels, the bottom of the doors, and the roof [where the stupid carrying rack was drilled into it]. On the other hand, I only paid $1900 for the car so I'm way ahead of the game.

I'm currently plagued with hard starting at low temperatures which I'm suspecting is a fuel injector problem, but I don't know what to do about it. I'll submit a separate post about it.

I've owned 3 older subaru's, including the funny looking one from the 70's, but I think that I only ran one over 200K. Fortunately I didn't have the problems [or the time to fix them] that I have had on this car.

timing belt guard? You mean the cover? all mine snapped the plastic on mine so my passenger side cover is missing and so on.

but wow not bad.. I picked up mine at 195,065 and I now have 235K on it almost 3 years later I've really only done minor stuff to it like water pump new radiator and timing belt and new struts.

99 Legacy GT Limited, bought it 4.5 years ago with 220,000 kms (130,000 miles). Had one headgasket failure episode and one timing belt tensioner bearing seizure (jumped timing, but not enough on any cam to cause valve damage). These were the only failures I experienced. Currently has 430,000 kms (270,000ish miles) with original ej25 and 4eat trans. Parts replaced as follows:

struts, coils, bushings, sway bar links

wheel bearings x3

fuel filler neck

tie rods

ball joints

starter solenoid rebuild

alternator

rotors

CV x2

I'm sure there are other things I am missing, but these are the stand out items. I am still totally satisfied with the car. I am not meek and mild with it (especially when there is a pile of fresh snow on the ground) and it still makes me smile. I have seen cars half as old and with half the mileage that look and drive like crap. For all the work and parts I have thrown at this car it has proven to be a very reliable car that has kept me out of trouble when those less than stellar drivers around me start to mess with my mojo.