Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to replace throttle cable??

At work with no access to Haynes, or HTKYSA, or chiltons, so maybe someone will look this up for and kinda give me a clue.

I took my hatch to get inspected and they busted my throttle cable, so now I need to install one.

I see on the back of the gas pedal there is a hole for one end of the cable, then it goes through the firewall to the carbie.

Ok, on the firewall, in the engine compartment, where the cable goes through, should what looks like a grommet pullout? Its kind of tight on my car. Will the replacement cable snap into this hole?

I am kind of in a bind here, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Please don't be offended but I am explaining this in a very basic way.

Your throttle cable goes through the little square hole on the firewall. On the pedal side of the throttle cable is a square peice of plastic that has two little tab type things on it. You stick that end through the hole in the firewall and the tabs hold it against the firewall. Now I am not clear on whether or not that is all you needed to know. If your cable broke then the plastic end from your old cable is probably still attached to the firewall. There was another post on how to change a throttle cable last week where I gave a detailed description of how to take the old throttle cable out that will tell you how to get the plastic part out of the firewall. Here is a link to that post if you need it.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12415

Just scroll down to the last post.

Patti, between your reply here and the one you referenced earlier, I know exactly what I need to do. Thanks for that.

I checked the haynes and the clymers tonight and there was nothing about the throttle cable. The Keep Subaru Alive book had a wonderful description on how to do it, but your description is better.

Thanks again,

Mark