Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2" Lift 2002 OBW VDC H6

lesstutrey

Well i have a 2" lift kit that arrived today. Was produced by High Guys and i like it, though it isn't not installed yet. I purchased new KYB GR2 struts all around. i'm still waiting on my rears, so once they get here i'll probably do the lift (so next weekend). So right now all i have is this picture, but this thread has to start somewhere.

5397050878_5fd5617cb9.jpg

Lifts and struts by High Guys

Does anyone know (i know you do gloyale) the proper orientation for the front blocks? They are slightly lower at one corner, and i'm sure that means there has to be a proper orientation.

Edit: the proper orientation on my blocks at least, had the arrows facing to the front of the car, doy. This is important on this lift as it's geometrically corrected for the camber issues the lift can create

Edited by lesstutrey
put some more info

As well, think i can fit 28" of tire after this lift, or do i need to go bigger for that, since the TA is gonna move forward a bit (or does it not on the G3 OBs?). Was told i could fit a 235x65R16.. but i can't find people who've done this lift on this gen of car.

Basically i'm in a tossup on tire size.

I know i'll be able to fit a 235x60r16, that's 27.1" so 1/2" over stock. Dunno if there is any benefit in going up to 235 from 225, aside the half inch of tire vertically. Only AT in this size i can find is Geolander AT/S's. Since i do 95% highway it's a pretty reasonable tire.

One person told me i can fit a 235x65r16 with 2" lift, that is like 28" on the nose, but there are really no good AT tires for that size...just goodyear fortera's that are great for highway driving. Again, 95% of my driving is paved, somewhat maintained flat straight country roads. I run on gravel a lot as well, or oiled gravel.

If i can fit 235x65r16's i can fit any tire under 28" then, i'd assume, as long as it's not too wide. So that leads me to 215x70R16's, lots of choices in tires, geolanders, at2s, bfgs, falkens. This seems like my best bet, since i live in a land where 12" is a big snow storm, the narrow tread would dig through the snow better than 235s, in theory.

So anyone who has done a 2" lift on this generation know what size tires i can fit on my 02 outback? If i can fit the 28's then the 215's are my best bet, and that's what i'd LIKE to run. That or the 235x60R16 that OBW's can run without lift...

Alright, so that means the 215/70R16 will be my choice. That leaves open BFGs, Geolanders, AT2s, Falken A/Ts. For a midwestern daily driver who is gonna have his biggest problems with snow, and the occasional trip to the OHV parks that have easy to really hard trails, i want to hear the tire arguments.

BFG's seemed to be the preferred tire for daily drivers/trail riders, with AT2s also seeming really liked. Based on tread life would that would lean me toward the BFG, but i'll be cycling 5 tires (just got a 5th wheel for my set, might refinish them without the gold...) so tread life is SLIGHTLY less of an issue, and as AT2's can cost me roughly half it makes me lean toward them, as the price of 5 is less than the price of 4 BFG KO's.

Falkens and Yoko's don't seem to be as well liked for offroad, but that will be little of my driving.. but cost in the ballpark of at2s. The only problem with the 215/70R16 AT2s is that they do not have the snowflake rating that the BFG has.

So.. what would you guys run?

As to the wheel, the +38mm offset wheels don't help at all with the strut top rubbing, like a celica 16x6.5's (fairly easy to find cheap, same bolt pattern)? That's the one tire i've considered.

I never measured the backspacing on the OEMs but unique brand steelies are like 5.7" backspace with +50 offset.. My guess is that's real similar to OEM.

My only other thought has been adapter spacers. Like to a 5x4.5 with 25mm spacer, then a lot of small truck tires open up, and they have low back space, but this generally is something seems to be frowned on, despite all the 4 to 6 lug conversions i've seen that have spacers...

Edited by lesstutrey
didn't look hard enough.

My only other thought has been adapter spacers. Like to a 5x4.5 with 25mm spacer, then a lot of small truck tires open up, and they have low back space, but this generally is something seems to be frowned on, despite all the 4 to 6 lug conversions i've seen that have spacers...

None of the 6-lug conversions here use adapters. And adapters aren't bad at all, I know this from my personal experience. I had 50mm adapters on my 350hp GTI for two years and never had an issue, and most people have them on their drift cars. So if they can handle that, they can probably handle your Subaru.

As for tires, I have the at2's and I really like them so far, they were great in the snow, and all around. They make no noise on the road also. So if you are looking for a daily driver that you can wheel, an at2 is a good tire for that.

It is a shame most 15" wheels don't fit around the brakes on the MY02+ OBWs. Running a lug adapter to 4.5, aka the wheel of the TJ, would only have like 3" of backspace.. but that's probably sticking out of the fender too much since they are 8" wheels, in my calculations about 3.25". 1" from adapter, 1.5" from wheel size increase with ~1" less backspace.. minus the +12 offset.. I live in illinois and they don't harass those with giant wheels and what not, unless they are speeding. Cops are more looking out for people driving 20-30mph over or are a dui. For no good reason if your truck isn't lifted you aren't normal round these parts, and cops don't seem to harass the jeep owners with 325mm wide 37" swampers (the TJ is absurdly popular around here). Maybe i need to be in a jeep brand jeep to not get harassed though? I'll obviously go higher if i want more than a 28" wheel.. probably lift it up to 4" If anyone found a 15" wheel that fit the 2002 OBW it would be really useful, since there are A LOT of jeep drivers with 15" wheels, and thus those AT/MTs are cheaper....

And is a spacer on a 5x100 dropping down to like 4.7" back space going to help at all for clearing the strut top perch?

Edited by lesstutrey

Grind your front calipers to fit the rims . About 1/4" is all you need .

I did mine back in '05 on my '03 obw. So I can run a 215/75r15 with very little rubbing at full lock. Go for the BFG at's don't waster your money on the yoko...I ran those they ar noisy and handle like crap compared to bfg..

BFG you get triple side walls..adn the stick like glue and very predicable drifting...

PICS!:horse:

Car goes in for body work and lift/strut job this friday. I'm webmaster for that shops site, so there will be pictures, soon. Give it a week:popcorn:

Got a 5th wheel, gotta get some rubber for it, and then figure out where and how to mount the 5th wheel. We had a major blizzard here so his shop is a bit behind schedule.... I can post a picture... of my car burried in snow lol.

Edited by lesstutrey

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen it in person yet, there was a snafu in the sending of the tow eye cover, so he just shot the car today. So i have pictures of my car... though they really don't give proper perspective or show anything because it's florescent lighting in an all white shop. Anyway, who cares, here is what i have.

1_imagejpeg952.jpg

170.jpg

3_imagejpeg952.jpg

Bumper waiting to go on, tow eye still en route, 2" Highguys lift installed.. though you can't tell it from these pictures. Detailing it tomorrow and putting the bumper on and i should have some better pictures for you. This is just what i got on my phone from the shop owner, and his crappy digital phone cam. Tough time matching 9 year old paint so apparently weathering shows a bit, still a bit green, but also still wet. Clear conditioner product will probably help a bit. Pretty sure i got fender flares going on too.. not positive about that.

Said he had a real pain installing the lift as he had no room for the bolts or something. Took him a day even with a lift. Can't wait to see it all hooked up.. probably tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, right now my front bumper is WAY too gold, luckily my guy found out his paint mixer will match shades, so he's gonna match my faded gold, and repaint the bumper for free. The ride on the lift is so much nicer i can't even begin to express, but that also has to do with the new KYB GR2's as well. I'm gonna have him cut up some 1/8th plate aluminum and make a bash plate, by one of those widely available diff protectors, and strap some plastic in places i don't want rocks to nail, but don't want the full weight of plate aluminum. My car is really designed for crappy roads, so i think i'm gonna stay at 9.9" (not measured, that's 7.9, the stock clearance, plus 2") There are a lot of gravel roads around here, and i'll be flying down em soon. The pin-stripe also needs to go in, but all in all.. this is done. Just need some 215/65 R16 AT2's (27" ordering soon, probably by this weekend, if anyone ever figures out how to deal with the spring perch, let me know, or if i CAN fit 215/70 R16) to finish off the look, along with the bash plate, and eventually a bullbar if i could freaking find someone who made one.. or try to find a vehicle with a similar profile i could borrow from. I know this shop down the road will make me one.. what it will cost is the scary part. Got a new battery too, and a nice scosche negative terminal for sub wiring, tossed in for free because my negative was so horrid and my battery was not correct spec, it was like 3" too tall and had 160 less CCA than my new one, and looked like it belonged in a large lawn tractor or something. Battery literally blew up when he went to start it after it had been in the shop a few days sitting. I'll take the duralast professional that replaced it (supposedly as good as red tops).

So, Without further ado, here are some crappy pics, probably the last snow of the season.

5493769504_0894a3bbff.jpg

Night shot by lesstutrey, on Flickr

5493176185_c9b746099d.jpg

Lower Night shot by lesstutrey, on Flickr

5493769110_da5d2f741f.jpg

Difficult conditions by lesstutrey, on Flickr

5493176461_197f23e076.jpg

Front left, after lift by lesstutrey, on Flickr

5493176065_608df22a06.jpg

Outback Booty by lesstutrey, on Flickr

I'll take some more when i am actually awake when the suns up, and my car is home(my car went into shop, then the 06 avalon went in, swapping cars around family members). Honestly, i'm very impressed by my lift, thanks HighGuys for the lift and my buddies at R&R Customs for installing it. With installation fee (friendly discount) and lift kit it was well under 500$ so beats the HECK out of the King Springs, in terms of lift for value. Of course they are better coils... The hood isn't PERFECTLY repaired, but it's close, and i might replace it with a baja xt hood anyway (just for looks) but think a bug guard might cover up the one side that is a little sticky outy by the grill. Insurance guy should have given me new hood, not repair.

Edited by lesstutrey

car is in shop at moment getting front bumper repainted to match, and headlight aimed, pin stripe put back on, oil changed, bla bla. I'll get pics and measure actual clearance once i get it back. Which should be soon.. should have a bash plate made fairly soon as well. Not going with primitive, i'll just have a friend do it, he's got a plasma cutter so should all be good. Mostly need it for small rocks beating my undercarriage when i'm doing 60+ down a gravel road, so probably go with some 1/8th alum alloy and spend way less than what primitive asks (admitted he makes a quality product from what i can see)

Also, i'm slightly sad i didn't go bigger with the lift. I think i should have done 4" and done all the drop blocks, however since i can only run a 27" i might make it 4-6" of lift with a strut extention on the fronts, and add 2 or 4" to the rear, and drop everything down the 2-4" I say all the way to 6" of lift simply because that would give me 4" of clearance on the perch, but i don't think that's needed as i can get ~29" MTs. But if i do that i'll probably be bashing in the rear fender to end any rub, and i don't think there is much room for that, so 2" is good enough. I think 4" might look slightly better, i dunno, going 4" + does increase the amount of work you have to do by quite a bit as well, so i am happy with the 2" lift. Ain't too many rough trails in the Midwest anyway, mostly just gravel and paved roads. I'll have to try to take it out in a field once things thaw and i have a partner to get me unstuck.

WELL, actually just read a thread from AUsubaru.com and they were saying they were running 215/70 R16s with only slight rub at full spring compression with a heavy load in the rear as long as they had 1.5" or more of lift. Guess i'll be getting 28's on steel... sometime in the future, maybe grab a set of ralitek stiffening springs to lessen rub possibility. Hope i can score some junkyard VW steels as AT2s are cheap, or maybe tirerack will get them in stock soon since it's nearly spring, or i luck out on craigs list or something.

Edited by lesstutrey

Love the height and there are trails in michigan you just gotta know people but as real trail riding there is always the badlands in indiana

car is in shop at moment getting front bumper repainted to match, and headlight aimed, pin stripe put back on, oil changed, bla bla. I'll get pics and measure actual clearance once i get it back. Which should be soon.. should have a bash plate made fairly soon as well. Not going with primitive, i'll just have a friend do it, he's got a plasma cutter so should all be good. Mostly need it for small rocks beating my undercarriage when i'm doing 60+ down a gravel road, so probably go with some 1/8th alum alloy and spend way less than what primitive asks (admitted he makes a quality product from what i can see)

Also, i'm slightly sad i didn't go bigger with the lift. I think i should have done 4" and done all the drop blocks, however since i can only run a 27" i might make it 4-6" of lift with a strut extention on the fronts, and add 2 or 4" to the rear, and drop everything down the 2-4" I say all the way to 6" of lift simply because that would give me 4" of clearance on the perch, but i don't think that's needed as i can get ~29" MTs. But if i do that i'll probably be bashing in the rear fender to end any rub, and i don't think there is much room for that, so 2" is good enough. I think 4" might look slightly better, i dunno, going 4" + does increase the amount of work you have to do by quite a bit as well, so i am happy with the 2" lift. Ain't too many rough trails in the Midwest anyway, mostly just gravel and paved roads. I'll have to try to take it out in a field once things thaw and i have a partner to get me unstuck.

WELL, actually just read a thread from AUsubaru.com and they were saying they were running 215/70 R16s with only slight rub at full spring compression with a heavy load in the rear as long as they had 1.5" or more of lift. Guess i'll be getting 28's on steel... sometime in the future, maybe grab a set of ralitek stiffening springs to lessen rub possibility. Hope i can score some junkyard VW steels as AT2s are cheap, or maybe tirerack will get them in stock soon since it's nearly spring, or i luck out on craigs list or something.

Love the height and there are trails in michigan you just gotta know people but as real trail riding there is always the badlands in indiana

I have a friend in wisconsin who litterally has two logging roads that cross his driveway, i got some places to get muddy other than cornfields, they just aren't too close.

I run a 40mm offset Konig (incident )wheels so that might help as far as choices go. They were cheaper than steelies.

Note: be careful of anymore suspension lift than 2" your cv's will hate you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So i've been having this minor issue with rub since i lifted. Guess what? The 2" lift moves the tires in just enough that if they are a bit low on tire pressure you get some kissing of the wheel well on the side of the tire. I was thinking of putting 1" lug adapters (just because i'm too lazy to replace the studs on the hubs, rather just bolt it on) that are hubcentric.

Obviously 25mm is over compensation for the amount it has moved in, but it will put the wheels about even with the fender. Does this outward movement, at this much of a level, cause any potential problems?

• 8 months later...
Well i have a 2" lift kit that arrived today. Was produced by High Guys and i like it, though it isn't not installed yet. I purchased new KYB GR2 struts all around. i'm still waiting on my rears, so once they get here i'll probably do the lift (so next weekend). So right now all i have is this picture, but this thread has to start somewhere.

5397050878_5fd5617cb9.jpg

Lifts and struts by High Guys

where do you find the lift kits by high guys. I have tried to google, but i have not had any luck