Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 exhaust leak from block?

Does anybody know what could be causing an exhaust leak that doesn't come from the exhaust? It's a stock dual port EJ22 in a '93 Legacy.

I did an engine swap a little over 10k miles ago and my car hasn't shut up since. Shortly after the swap, I put a different y-pipe and new exhaust gaskets on and that didn't help. Then this last weekend I swapped the full exhaust from a whisper quiet Legacy. Exhaust gaskets still looked perfect with no signs of a leakage on either the block or y-pipe surfaces and I didn't disturb any gaskets between sections as I moved the whole unit over as one piece. There was exactly no change though.

I haven't visually noticed any obvious leak points. It leaks a good deal of oil despite getting a reseal before going in and, while I don't know compression numbers, it does still pull pretty dang hard.

It isn't dire, but I am quite curious as to what could be up.

what year engine did you install? 93? newer??

did you swap the intake or use the one on the ''new'' engine?

i used a 95 ej22 in a swap for an outback and had an exhaust leak, the EGR tube between the intake and the driver side head was missing. ran fine, no codes, but big leak. feel for an open hole or escaping exhaust on the rear of the driver side head. be careful of the heat.

93s don't have an EGR , i don't think, but 95 - 99s w/ auto trans do.