Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny fluid drain plug...

normally i'd say heat, not sure if ATF and heat mix? if it's okay you'd heat the threads of the PAN and try to keep the bolt cold. heat around it for 30-60 seconds depending on heat source, then immediately try to break the cold drain plug loose. again - check into ATF and heat, not sure how flammable it is, what kind of heat you should use.

if it's that tight you might want to plan on the thread or plug being ruined when you do get it out. but i don't know what tools you've tried yet, how big, etc.

another option is to pull the trans hoses and pump the fluid out. that's one way to replace the fluid without messing with the plug. but there's disadvantages to that too.

or pull the driveshaft out the rear and jack the car up. or drop the pan but that'd be interesting full of fluid.

normally i'd say heat, not sure if ATF and heat mix? if it's okay you'd heat the threads of the PAN and try to keep the bolt cold. heat around it for 30-60 seconds depending on heat source, then immediately try to break the cold drain plug loose. again - check into ATF and heat, not sure how flammable it is, what kind of heat you should use.

if it's that tight you might want to plan on the thread or plug being ruined when you do get it out. but i don't know what tools you've tried yet, how big, etc.

another option is to pull the trans hoses and pump the fluid out. that's one way to replace the fluid without messing with the plug. but there's disadvantages to that too.

or pull the driveshaft out the rear and jack the car up. or drop the pan but that'd be interesting full of fluid.

ATF? i have a manual man :P

well, being as the guys that owned my car before me was the hulk, I had the same problem with my oil plug. I had to use some rope and pulley setup. Kinda twisted the head, but I got it off. You could try a 3/4" bar or impact. Also, make sure it's a six-point.

ATF? i have a manual man :P

suggestions still apply in terms of heat. removing the pan will no longer be an option obviously.

you didn't say manual trans. actually you suggested the opposite - tranny fluid suggests Automatic Transmission Fluid. Manuals use gear oil, not tranny fluid. I don't worry about semantics but without knowing we have to guess. typically good to lay out there what model, trans, etc.