Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally Looking For A Newer Outback

Hi All,

I am finally starting to think about replacing my 97 Outback 5 spd.. Other than going through the dreaded head gasket problem, it has been an exceptional car. It just turned over 240,000, and I figure it is time to start looking. I'm in no hurry.

I like the body style of the 05 to 08 outbacks the best. I will be looking for another 5 spd. Any issues that make one of those years preferable, or non-preferable?

Thanks

subsince77,

I've owned three OBW's over the years, a 97, an 04 and my present 07. All were LTD's and each one was better than the last. The latest 07 has had not one hiccup since new and is now at 120 000 km.

You'll particularly like that the rear seats fold flat without having to flip up the seat bottoms first. And the headrests can stay attached while doing it. You can also stow the cargo shield under the floor in the back where a slot is set aside for it. As well, there is no more piston slap or headgasket issue to worry about. Good luck on your future purchase!

If you live where it snows (which can be damn near anywhere in the US this winter) You will be interested to know about the mysterious "ghost walk" problem that affects the 05 and later Outback.

Search for "Ghostwalk" and you'll find some info here. This thread - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107496&highlight=Ghostwalk - contains the link to the largest base of information and personal accounts of ghostwalk experiences on the internet over at Subaruoutack.org.

Good news is that some people seem to have found a "cure" for the problem, and there is detailed info in the thread about the supposed "fix".

I am glad I read this thread and the ones that were linked in it. my wife and i have been going back and forth about getting a newer subaru and it so happened that a family member had an 08 outback that she was looking to get rid of.

that's pretty scary stuff. since all the cars essentially use the same platform with a different shell on it, i don't see why it is so specific to one model.

If you live where it snows (which can be damn near anywhere in the US this winter) You will be interested to know about the mysterious "ghost walk" problem that affects the 05 and later Outback.

Search for "Ghostwalk" and you'll find some info here. This thread - http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107496&highlight=Ghostwalk - contains the link to the largest base of information and personal accounts of ghostwalk experiences on the internet over at Subaruoutack.org.

Good news is that some people seem to have found a "cure" for the problem, and there is detailed info in the thread about the supposed "fix".

We get lots of snow here in the central mountains of Colorado. I'll look into that. Thanks.

So, I will keep reading through those threads tomorrow, but on the ghost walk thing, is that limited to the autos, or is it a problem on a manual tranny too? Since, at least on the older models, you don't get the side to side power transfer on a manual transmission, it would just be one more reason that I would stick with a 5 SPd.

You know I'm not sure. It never occurred to me to look at transmission type in any of the posts I read. But the main thing seems to indicate that this problem is speed and load dependant. If you read, people who drive over about 40mph or have a heavy load in the cargo area tend to have, or at least notice, the problem the most.

Honestly, if you like the car, don't let this issue deter you from buying one. Just be aware that there is a somewhat common issue with the later model Outback. It does appear to be correctable though.

It's just amazing to me to read about such a problem in a Subaru. One of the things I like most about our sub, and the others we have had, is the solid stability on snow. We have snow packed, or icy roads for at least 3 months solid every year, and potential for it for 7 or 8 months of the year. I have seen no decline in Subaru ownership around here. It seems like about every third vehicle. I am going to ask a few locals about their experiences too.

Yes. I have dedicated wheels with snow tires. Of course, I think all the newer cars have 16 " wheels don't they? I would have to replace all of that.

I have been working through the thread. Not reading everything. 137 pages!!!

I haven't come to a place that give any definitive solution yet.