Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Roof racks for 97 Legacy GT Wagon

I'm looking for roof racks for my 97 GT Wagon. I'm not sure what's best; so I'm hoping people could show off their setups and help me find what fits my needs. I only have the factory side rails with no cross bars, and I want to carry surfboards (I'm all about loggin' on the longboards here in SoCal).

Thanks!

Yakima and Thule are both good. They both offer "fit kits" that allow you to attach cross bars, upon which you can mount various attachments and carriers to hold anything from kayaks, skis, bikes, etc, to the factory side rails. Unfortunately they cost a pretty $$$, even when purchased used.

I searched forever for a used Thule M.O.A.B. or a Yakima MegaWarrior at a decent price. I was about to give up when I discovered this extra-chunky rack from Rola (also sold as DrawTite) for $158 brand new.

I love it, and it makes my soccer mom wagon (appear) a bit more rugged.

rackt.jpg

you can use the factory crossbars that are on (or were on) your car and use products like yakima's mighty mount adapters to attach racks or cargo boxes to what is already on your roof. this saves a ton of money over buying towers and crossbars that attach to the factory mounts.

i personally use the aftermarket towers and crossbars because i feel they are more secure and my mountain bike is worth about as much as my legacy.

Yakima lately has been coming out with rack products that fit round, square, and get this...

FACTORY CROSS BARS!

Check out Yakima's lineup and see if they got what you need for factory cross bars. It would save you a ton of time, hassle, and money keeping the factory cross-bars.

Oh man...

Just quickly browsed the Yakima stuff.

http://yakima.com/shop/water/top/strapthang

The surfboard straps only fit on Yakima roundbars.

I searched forever for a used Thule M.O.A.B. or a Yakima MegaWarrior at a decent price. I was about to give up when I discovered this extra-chunky rack from Rola (also sold as DrawTite) for $158 brand new.

I love it, and it makes my soccer mom wagon (appear) a bit more rugged.

rackt.jpg

That's pretty sweet for $160. Perfect size for a Subaru too.