Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another coolant leak!

I just finished Replacement of the Intake Manifold gaskets. The job went smoothly...went off with out a hitch.

Three days later, my sister tells me there is a coolant leak from underneath!

AARRGGHH!!

Man it one thing after another with this car! Good thing I only paid $900 two years ago(it had 57,000 miles on it at time of sale).

Any way I got under neath to investigate. At first glance, it looks as if it leaking out the Head gasket. But further looking revealed that it is running down the seem of the head gskt, from some where on top or mid way up.

Its on the drivers side, front, Possibly from something up in there or maybe it is the head.

What else is up there guys...any one know from memory?

Are He4ad gskt common? Can the gskt be replaced with engine still in vehicle?

sounds like the intake gasket again, did you use dealer? or did you use the cardboard autozone ones? that may be the problem. both surfaces must be super clean and smooth. use dealer gaskets and torque to 12lb/ft :) I learned early to ALWAYS use dealer gaskets on important stuff. and dealer thermostats on these cars.

I always use dealer parts. always.

Maybe I didn't tighten a clamp enough or something like that. I am positive that the intake gasket is not the issue.

I'll have to do as suggested an clean it up very well and run it until it start to trickle down again. i could also try using a coolant pressure tester; Apply 15 psi to the system and search for the leak.

This is the greatest web site for Subaru info/repair!

thanks to everyone!!

ASide from the small hose coming off the thermostat housing, the heater hoses run across the drivers side too. Clean up the wetness, start the car and wait for the flow to happen.

i have seen this water pipe develop leaks due to rust pinholes.

also, the o-ring in the radiator water pipe may be bad at the water pump. try loosening the mounting bolt and shoving the pipe closer the the WP. OR just replace the o-ring, if you do find it's leaking there